Throwdown #25: Baked Beans

This is my entry for Throwdown #25 Baked Beans. I used the recipe from The Science of Good Cooking. I must say, this recipe is awesome. I highly recommend it.

002_zpsfe3c17ad.jpg

004_zps44a93f18.jpg

I had to move the DO down closer to the fire to get the boil I needed.

008_zpsbf539427.jpg

009_zpsb7390c9d.jpg

006_zps590e291a.jpg

010_zpsc14d66a8.jpg

011_zps3a4647f3.jpg

015_zpsad50caf3.jpg

014_zpsb15a6488.jpg

Oh my, they were good served along side SWMBO's Cole Slaw and some BBQ'ed Pork Chops.

016_zps2684c103.jpg

Last edited:
A pal of mine, kin to the folks who make/sell Camellia Beans gave me a gift of many pounds of their most excellent beans. In the past I have been using a wonderful Ray Basso recipe that starts with canned beans - I plan on using this throwdown to get a new wonderful recipe that starts with dry (Camellia) beans.

Thanks in Advance

:wsm:

I've been a TVWBB lurker for many years and finally decided to get more involved. So here is my first throwdown. Cheers!

On behalf of everyone here (and hopefully my family when I try to copy this dish), thank you for coming out of the shadows! Awesome looking beans!

I must say that Matthew, Jose and Dwain have set the bar high. I'm here to learn on this one.

Last edited:
Baked Beans on the Weber

Here is my entry for Throwdown #25: Baked Beans. Here are most of the ingredients I used for these beans.

Let the dry beans soak over night. Used red beans and black beans.

Got the dry beans cooking the next morning. Waiting for a boil on the Jumbo Joe.

Simmered for an hour or so until the beans were soft.

Got some of the goodies chopped and ready.

Oh yeah, added one pound of goodness too. Left over brisket!

Mixed all together. Did not use the green bell pepper shown in the first picture. In addition to the beans I cooked, I also added three cans of Bush's baked beans. The jalapenos were chopped with seeds included.

On the grill.

Left on grill for about an hour. All done.

Plated with cornbread and salad.

Well that's it. Thanks for looking!

Pastrami beans.

Cooked up some beans today. Went with canned beans and molasses, ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Also added some leftover pastrami I smoked earlier in the week.

001 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr
002 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr

Garlic, onion, pastram.

007 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr
009 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr

Cooked for 1.5 hours.

037 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr
046 by wasatchbbq, on Flickr

Eats like a meal! Good luck everyone.

I can't believe it. I missed out on making Baked Beans. I have no excuse other than I was a winter wimp.
I had all the time in the world and squandered it away. . . That's not happen again.

They All Look Soo Dang Good, I Wish We All Could Sample Them Before Voting.... You Know, Not A Fork Or Spoon Full... But A Big Bowlful :D

Baked Beans on the Weber

Here is my entry for Throwdown #25: Baked Beans. Here are most of the ingredients I used for these beans.

Cliff,

Your beans look great. Two questions though.
1. Can you tell the difference (taste/texture/other) between the different beans (black/red/canned)?
2. Why'd you skip the green bell pepper?

Last edited:
Cliff,

Your beans look great. Two questions though.
1. Can you tell the difference (taste/texture/other) between the different beans (black/red/canned)?
2. Why'd you skip the green bell pepper?

Hey Brian... The black beans cooked much faster than the red. When I do these again, I'll cook them separately so that they end up with the same texture. My recipe calls for either a Pablano Pepper or a Green Bell Pepper. When I was doing my shopping I was undecided on which to use, so I bought both. Later, I decided on the Pablano as there was already a red bell pepper in the mix. I thought the Pablano would provide a more diverse flavor. When setting up my photos I inadvertently took a shot of both Pablano and GBP. I didn't want to misrepresent what was actually in the beans so I mentioned I didn't use the GBP. Kind of silly, I guess. Just me.

Back