Throwdown #18: Beef Chuck Roast

Stuffed Chuck Roast with Greek Salad and Carmelized Onions & Potatoes

Never done this before, but I thought I would take a stab at it. Fry's (Kroger's) just happened to have Choice Chuck Roasts on sale, so I picked one up. I haven't done too much with a chuck roast before and was thinking that it should be something to try. I think that the one that I got was 3.5 lbs. I waffled a bit on what to do with it and finally decided on stuffing it.

I should say that for this cook, I did a lot of new things. Maybe too many. But it was fun. I made mistakes and it didn't turn out perfect, but the family went back for seconds, so I will call it a hit.

I've never stuffed anything before. The first snag was the roll cut. Not very pretty, I thought that I got the job done, but then when I rolled it back up, I realized that the natural seams in the meat and my cut left a big gap. Actually I thought it looked pretty, but I knew that it may be an issue. I wasn't too worried, though. After all, I've never bbq a chuck roast either. No reason to stop. So here is the roll cut

IMG_2159.JPG

Salt & Pepper the meat. I should have put the garlic down too, but I didn't think about that. I ended up putting that on last. Next, Asiago Cheese and Fresh Basil Leaves and then the garlic.

IMG_2162.JPG

Now tied - not the best job. You can see the huge gaps and stuff falling out. I also put a little EVOO and salt & pepper on the outside.

IMG_2163.JPG

My wife wants me to learn how to use a crock pot. I don't know why, but anyway I found a recipe for Caramelized Onions & Potatoes in a book that we had. Basically
2 Cups Sweet Onions, Sliced
1.5 Pounds New Potatoes Cut in Halves
1/2 cup beef broth
2 Tb brown sugar
salt & pepper to need
3 1/2 hours on high​

IMG_2160.JPG

I threw in a bag of baby carrots at the last minute.

For some reason, I decided to do it on my kettle rather than the smoker. I used the snake method for the first time with hickory. Sure looks pretty.

IMG_2164.JPG

Temperature went way too high. I haven't smoked enough on the kettle. Going to need some more practice :)

Its a beautiful sight, though.
IMG_2165.JPG

As you can see, I don't have any fancy remote thermometers, so I picked up an oven thermo at Fry's. It's probably 50 degrees off, but its a gage. I should probably get a real one sometime. Anyway, it was about 350, a little warm, so I throttled things way down and finally stabilized around 250. Bottom vents were about 1/4 (hard to gage) and the top was maybe an 1/8" (my temp probe would fit in the gap, but not much more). That water pan was so small, it probably didn't do anything. Anyway, it was on for 3.5 hours.

IMG_2167.JPG

The white stuff is the cheese that leaked out. Boy was it yummy. My wife wasn't home, so it got foiled for about 45 minutes.

Here it is sliced. Nice bark outside. It didn't hold together too well once I removed the strings. Oh, well.

IMG_2168.JPG

Here it is plated with the Greek Salad that I made (first time for that too)

IMG_2170.JPG

The roast had a good flavor, was slightly overcooked, but was tender and firm. A lot like brisket flat. I liked it, and everyone in the family had seconds. Potatoes were a big hit.

What I would like to try differently.
Temperature Control
Pull it a little sooner
Real Rub on the outside
Maybe a bacon weave outside
Gravy or Au Jus from the drippings
Better Roll Cut​

All in all, a very successful meal. Probably took me 20-30 minutes to prepare, 4 hours to smoke/grill.

Smoked & Open Pit Chuck Eye Roast

Started with this guy pulled from the deep freeze.http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/Detail.aspx?ckey=115
20140119_104025.jpg

Made a slather of EVO, worsh, & Canadian steak seasoning that I crushed in a mortar & pestle to open up the spices.

20140119_113427.jpg

On the 18.5" WSM ( with a new grate ) with RO lump & briqs with Cherry being the choice of smoke flavor.

20140119_113830.jpg

After 3 hrs from a Minion start and average temps around 275, the IT was still quite cold, so this is the open pit part,
I removed the water pan.

20140119_163054.jpg

Temps did start to rise quickly and after an hr I flipped it.

20140119_163041.jpg

Soon afterwords it was done and off for a rest.

20140119_163128.jpg

Plated with some Cali mixed vegs dusted with S&P, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper flakes and topped with an Italian cheese blend. Some cheesy Rotini also.

20140119_164730.jpg

Great beefy flavor and oh so tender, If you ever see one ( or two ) in a store, buy it, cuz I'm sure you'll like it!

Tim

Last edited:
All the entries look interesting so far, and Timothy's chuckeye roast is the first I have seen in a long time.
Wish I could find one.

Chile Rojo

Here's our entry....chile Rojo.

Seasoned the chuck roast with lawrys seasoned salt and a little garlic salt.

764F9D71-189B-424E-A05A-DC29FC3D06D5.jpg

Smoked with hickory for 6 hours or so

4E986799-47B2-40D5-B7F8-E80E5EF0D851.jpg

Almost done. Flipped after a few hours

E632AD02-A5CD-4428-BFE3-9D74EF404BD4.jpg

All done.

1122B52D-E51F-42EA-B7D7-039D062A2A7D.jpg

Got the cast iron ready with a little oil and some onions. Lightly cooked.

164EED44-515F-4F9F-A057-AB529458F1E9.jpg

Then added my chopped-cubed meat

EBB6075E-4AEF-41DB-82BB-D98E6EE3B2AE.jpg

Then added my sauce which a friend of mine gave me the recipe. This stuff is spicy.

Here's the recipe

a small handful of de arbols
a small handful of japones
(maybe 20 each)
2 tbsp Chipotle Chili Powder
3 Cloves Garlic
1tsp Knorr
3 tbsp White Vinegar
3-4 Cloves
1 tsp Salt and cracked Black Pepper
I didn't toast or do much d-seeding.
Boiled Water. added de-stemmed de arbol and japones as is. Let them soak for 20 minutes or so.
Added the chilis and garlic to the blender with the Vinegar, Knorr, Chipotle Powder, Cloves, Salt, Pepper and enough Chili water to cover. Blended it really good - a good minute or longer.
I didn't strain or anything... that's the sauce. Add more chili water if it's too thick. Keep adding until you get the right consistency.

74D317F9-C4C0-499F-AA33-9F2B5A3E7A18.jpg

This the final result. Left it on low for 40 min.

74D317F9-C4C0-499F-AA33-9F2B5A3E7A18.jpg

Here's your plate.

DF7FFBDF-4F2F-40E0-88EB-AEEFD34C9054.jpg

This was fork tender and very delicious.

Thank you for your time in reading this post.

Tony and Maribel

Yea japones & de arbols are hot to this guy.
I would have to temper that with a little sour cream or creama mexicana with just a sprinkle of sugar on top. And then a bowl of ice cream after that Lol.

Tim

A Mexican Twist on PSB-PMB Chimichanga

So for my entry, I decided to try a different variation of PSB. I still use the same peppers, but I used a Negra Modelo for the stout part. Also, instead of serving the beef on a roll, I choose to fry it like a chimichanga. I smoked the chuck roast at 250 for 6 hours with hickory, and then transferred the roast to a pan for 3 more hours at 300.

Rub: Garlic Salt, Cumin, Chili Powder, and Cayenne

Other ingredients: Green/Yellow/Red peppers, Jalapenos, Onion, Negra Modelo, Cilantro, Flour Tortilla Shells, Smoke Sharp Cheddar, Salsa Verde, Sour Cream, and Lime

Roasting Peppers

Beef done and pulled

Ready for assembly

Chimichanga getting all fried up in the CI on the vintage 18" Weber

Plated

Last edited:
WOW is right, that chimichanga side cut is outstanding. Who would have guessed there was some heat coming out of Minnesota this time of year.

These are all very impressive. It's amazing what you guys are able to do with your grills/smokers. Thanks for sharing!!

My Throwdown Entry - Sauerbraten

The last time I made this dish was a lifetime ago. Time for a smokey update using Alton Brown's recipe as a guide line. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sauerbraten-recipe.html

Mixed all the marinade ingredients.
r4an.jpg

I injected the 4lb chuck roast and then sealed with remaining marinade to get happy for 3 days.

Onto the WSM for a a 2+ hour smoke @230 using cherry wood. I was adding smoke before browning the roast.
siji.jpg

Out of the smoker and into a Dutch oven on the Performer.
ewg9.jpg

Nicely browned.
kobp.jpg

I then poured off all but a few Tbs of browning oil (canola). I simmered the marinade, added it to the DO and returned it to the WSM @350 for about 2 1/2 hours.
Time to get the German potato salad going.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/german-potato-salad-recipe.html
The only change I made was using baby red potatoes instead of white.
Chopped the onions and sliced the reds.
f8m6.jpg

Bacon frying on the Performer.
43gq.jpg

Added the boiled reds and onion. Then added chicken stock and vinegar. Covered until liquid evaporated.
jdxa.jpg

Roast off the WSM.
mjwq.jpg

I then strained the solids out of the pan liquids and added the crushed ginger snaps to complete the gravy.

Sauerbraten plated with German potato salad,sauerkraut, and cut green beans with bacon and onions.
lvmt.jpg

Your plate.
xsqz.jpg

This was a really good dish if I do say so myself. While time consuming it was definitely worth the work.
Thanks for looking,
Scott

Back