Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip

A little late for the throwdown but I stumbled across a source. The Tri-Tips we get are from IBP who it turns out is owned by Tyson. Looking at their site, I discovered they are the supplier for the Tri-Tips found in the local Kroger's. They're pre-seasoned but I found the Santa Maria ones delicious. The next time we're ready to order a case, I'm going see if we can get these

http://www.tysonfreshmeats.com/Specialty-Cut-Meats-Program.aspx

Eh. I'm not ashamed of my iPhone pics. ok maybe a little ashamed. :eek:

The beauty of this forum is learning from everyone here. I'd never heard of Tri-Tip before this forum... my entry was the first Tri-Tip I ever saw, ever cooked, much less eaten.

Needless to say, all I REALLY wanted was to eat that meal while it was still warm. And it was better than good. :)

Like Sheila, I first heard of Tri-Tip on this forum, and it was also my first attempt.
Now there are only about a zillion other things I've seen and want to try.:)

Tri-tip from Prague

Above all:
All my friends who cooked this before me - my hat is down!

OK. I'm not a competitive person, but...

I found - believe it or not, even here in Prague, Tri-tips.

tmpE287.jpg

So i go ahead:

After a thorough untrimmed!!!

First massage in good EVOO, thyme, majoram crushed black pepper and garlic about 4 hours

tmp4A8F.jpg

dryed, was then applied this Chris recommended rub:

Tri-Tip Seasoning
3 Tablespoons non-iodized table salt
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind
1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
Chop the parsley or crush it between your fingers to make it small enough to mix well with the other ingredients. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.htmlhttp://virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html
I used about a third of this amount for this piece of meat weighing around 2lb

(and... yes, MSG has been used too)

But first went to Weber small red onions with balsamic, red wine, sugar and ground black pepper ...

tmpD545.jpg

later added mushrooms....

The course did not allow this to complete the Weber, and then onions and mushrooms make place for stars of the evening and were finished in the oven.
Added one piece of cherry.
here is Tri-tip before reverse sear - temp 125 f

tmp2200.jpg

In this time i made ​​the potatoes in the oven

reverse seared to a temperature of 135 and then packed in the 10 to 15 min in foil to rest

tmpF29D.jpg

some nice competitions marks zucchini (yes, fifty lens/1,7f - forget your mobile phone - you do not have a chance to take a picture like this)

tmp6291.jpg

Beautiful piece of meat

tmpC6B3.jpg

sliced

tmpE01.jpg

and served with Kevin Kruger's planks, Morgan's zucchini, red onion, shrooms and
with sour cream flavored with garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

tmpC7CF.jpg

tmp621C.jpg

It was a great, great experience for me, and my family enjoyed it too.

yes, THIS IS PERFECTION.

Back