Thrift Store Find - KitchenAid Pro Line KPWB100OB Waffle Baker

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Wife had a dentist appointment this morning and it was -38 outside so decided to drive her (truck, 4WD etc instead of her little car) so she would not have to leave her car parked out in the cold while she was inside.

Anyways, was trying to kill time and popped in to my local thrift store that is nearby. I usually pop in and look for cast iron cookware or other unique items and often find decent knives that I resharpen and sell/give away.
I was just wandering the isles and went down the electric appliances isle and see this monster sitting there. Open it up and look it over and it looks brand new. I have a crappy little waffle maker that only does one at a time and is a real PITA to clean...picked it up for $10. Thing weighs a ton and sold for $300 - $400 CAD when it was available. Always happy when the label says "For home OR commercial use!"....

Fired it up and made a batch....works perfectly...a good day!! Chicken and waffle night!!!

1705092423867.png

Last edited:
Wife had a dentist appointment this morning and it was -38 outside so decided to drive her (truck, 4WD etc instead of her little car) so she would not have to leave her car parked out in the cold while she was inside.

Anyways, was trying to kill time and popped in to my local thrift store that is nearby. I usually pop in and look for cast iron cookware or other unique items and often find decent knives that I resharpen and sell/give away.
I was just wandering the isles and went down the electric appliances isle and see this monster sitting there. Open it up and look it over and it looks brand new. I have a crappy little waffle maker that only does one at a time and is a real PITA to clean...picked it up for $10. Thing weighs a ton and looks like it sold for over $300 CAD when it was available...don't see it for sale any more. Always happy when the label says "For home OR commercial use!"....

Fired it up and made a batch....works perfectly...a good day!! Chicken and waffle night!!!

View attachment 85054
Nice device there.

I don‘t hit those places with any regularity, one of those would make a lot of “dead” stops worth it! But, I’m really feeling like I’m pushing maximum density for the house as well as the garage!

Cool grab. I have two antique stove stop cast iron waffle irons that we relegated to the garage. When we actually make waffles, we use a pair of TINY modern non-stick waffle makers. One makes heart-shaped waffles.

Nice find. I love waffles, but with the size of my family it's hard to keep up with the demand when making them one at a time (especially if I want to eat too). I know I know I can just get another waffle baker, but I'm too lazy to really research them and the ones I see when I'm "out and about" all look cheap and like they won't hold last.

Yeah, this seems to be the kind that will last indefinitely. Weighs a ton and very well built and all metal. I am totally impressed with it's workflow simplicity. You could easily pump out two waffles every 3-1/2 minutes. Basically turn it on and wait for it to heat up. It has a dial temp gauge as well as an indicator light. Once to temp, it just sits there... You pour in your batter, hit the timer button, and flip (and optionally, pour second waffle and flip). When timer zero's out, it beeps multiple times and the timer changes from a blue screen to red screen and also starts counting UP (so also advises you if you need to adjust the main timer if you are always on the "up" count when your waffle is ready. Hit reset and timer goes back and ready for the next one. So you can see how this was designed for light commercial use...workflow is really perfect for non-stop waffle production. Way overkill for what I need, but love it!

Me and wife keep threatening to open a very small coffee/eats place or tiny food truck so this is kind of a "karma" find and would fit in nicely to that plan... First waffles made...need to increase batter amount a bit, but super crispy, fluffy (made with whole wheat flour).

1705171795143.png

Last edited:
Interesting comments...I'll keep an eye on the buttons and maybe take a look inside to see if some extra support or something is needed.

Interesting comments...I'll keep an eye on the buttons and maybe take a look inside to see if some extra support or something is needed.
I was just trying to be a little humorous rather than suggesting you made a bad purchase. It seems odd for a person to burn through four purchases.

I was just trying to be a little humorous rather than suggesting you made a bad purchase. It seems odd for a person to burn through four purchases.
All good....if there is a weakness, I'm all for knowing about it in advance. I went searching and found a couple other similar comments as well so there might be something to his comments...though, yes...going through 4 machines seems like he maybe wanted a refund instead of warranty replacement so decided to break them on purpose or something...who knows. Even if it just makes me be very "delicate" with the button pushing was of some value actually.

I have always wanted a waffle maker, but when I think of the work to make batter and the clean up-I pop an Eggo in the toaster.
I snagged a “mini” waffle maker at my wife’s direction, making the batter is really pretty simple, I make it up in a deli tub with a stick blender maybe two or three times a week. Cup of flour, one of milk, an egg, a teaspoon of baking powder, maybe a shake of good vanilla extract. Blitz it up, ready as fast as an eggo almost. And MUCH better!
Oops, I forgot 2-Tbsp, melted butter. And a pinch of salt!

Last edited:
I mix dry ingredients separately from the wet.

In the mixing bowl I melt the butter, then whisk in the milk and egg until the wet ingredients are all blended together.

I add dry to wet and stir until it is mixed, but not over mixed, and then I let the batter rest for 20 mins.

I have been enjoying my Cuisinart Belgian waffle maker for a few years now & although its more of a seasonal cookware for me, I believe -1 degrees constitutes me breaking it out today. My go-to mix is the “Krusteaz” brand.
IMG_5795.jpg
I know it is not Eggo, few are, incidentally I plan to fire up the kettle later as it is now snowing. Enjoy!
IMG_5796.jpg

I got this Presto a while back and have really enjoyed it.

1000009526.jpg
1000009528.jpg
Your deal is like a $10 WSM, I've always hoped to see one but never really expected to. Like EricV, I use Krusteaz, but in my quest to duplicate the waffles I used to get at hotel continental breakfasts I have been experimenting with adding some malted milk powder to the mix. I probably should go ahead and buy the mix the hotels use, even though it is pricey.1000009527.png

Last edited:

Back