Thoughts/questions on my new Smokey

MSCox PA

I've used a Big Green Egg for about four years now. I know several BBQ'ers who rave about the Smokey, including Egg and other kamado-style cooker owners, so I finally got one so that I could cook larger quantities at one time. I have a couple questions coming from that perspective that I hope someone here might be able to shed light on.

The first thing I noticed is that I seem unable to get it completely closed. I smoked my first pork butt on it and had to close all the vents completely to get it below 225 (I used the Minion method, and it worked great: perfect temp very quickly). Enough air was getting in and out via the gaps in the vents and the access door. After about six or seven hours the temp began dropping and I had to open a couple vents slightly to keep it around 200. Also, when I'm done cooking and close it all up, it doesn't fully extinguish, it just burns down slowly so that whatever charcoal I put in it gets 100% used up. Is this other peoples' experience – when the charcoal is plentiful you have to close all the events to keep it from getting too hot?

The other observation is that it sure eats a lot of charcoal. I'm using natural lump, typically Royal Oak, and I had the charcoal ring completely full, maybe even a little rounded over. It ran out of steam after about 14 hours and the meat was only at 170. I had to load even more charcoal to finish the cook. I would've needed no more than half the charcoal on my Egg. I know it's a larger capacity, but the amount seemed really high - did I miss a trick? Maybe with more meat - a fuller load - it might be more efficient? One butt isn't very much, but I just wanted the learning experience for now.

Appreciate any insights. Oh, and by the way, the butt turned out fantastic!

New WSMs run hot for the first several cooks. It needs some seasoning which will come over time. Check and see if your door is getting a good seal. A lot of guys upgrade to the Cajun Bandit door for better performance than the OEM Weber.

Having come from a Kamado myself - do NOT expect the same charcoal consumption. A ceramic Kamado uses little in comparison to the WSM due to it's insulation and ability to hold heat. A Kamado's fuel consumption is hands-down a plus over the WSM. Also my experience has been that using a lump and the WSM can take a little more practice and tweaking. How you load your lump in the ring can have an impact on burn time, temp spikes, etc....Whereas in the Kamado, just throwing in a few handfuls of lump was all that was needed - where it fell didn't really matter.

Perhaps use briquettes for the next few cooks. I find them a bit more predictable and forgiving. Once you start to season your WSM and get a better handle on how it works and how to work with it, move back to lump. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Welcome MS, I have a Green Egg, and use Royal Oak lump with it. In my WSM I use Royal Oak or Kingsford blue bag briquettes.
The WSM was designed to be used with briquets, and the Egg is supposed to use lump, for less ash. Sometimes I will mix some
lump with some briqs in the WSM.

Your WSM is new, and the more that you use it, the better it will seal itself up as the inside is coated with bbq residue. There is a
learning curve for every cooker, and once you get the hang of it, its a great BBQ machine.

Did you put water in the water pan?

I have to say I fired up my 18.5 for the first time sat. I started it with all vents wide open and about 3/4 of a full ring of charcoal. Now here is what I've noticed.

Once mine hit 275 I dialed all three bottom vents to about 1/4 open or a smidge less. That held the cooker at about 250. after 4 hrs of ribs it stayed at 250pretty easy without water in the pan. when my cook was done I closed all the vents and left it closed up. I would say that I still have enough charcoal left for another solid 4 hr cook.

Thanks,

I just got my WSM last week MS and I'm having the same problem shutting it down. I'm used to a kettle that shuts down quick once the vents are closed, and I get to use my unused charcoal on the next bbq.

I installed a Cajun Bandit door today. It seals better and is more stout. Also I ordered a Nomex seal set for the mid section and door. I noticed my top cover rocks from side to side a little bit, so its definitely not sealing correctly. I don't think I will need the door seal but will use it, as it cant hurt.

The only other problem I see with leaking, is that the vents aren't able to close completely, because of the little bent tabs for the stops. They let air in. I inquired about this and was told once the smoker gunk's up, they will seal up.

I will give that a little time to see what happens, but more than likely I will fix that problem, so I can save my unused charcoal. I really think the door, gasket kit, and vent mod will give me full control of my smoker, like I have with my kettle.

Good Luck

Yes, I used water - I did see that it all cooked off by the time the meat was done, so I will completely fill it next time.

Thanks for all the feedback. Good stuff! I will continue to season and look into the Cajun Bandit.

Back