This can't be right

Mike A.

TVWBB Fan
So I saw a recipe in my local paper that sounds interesting because it's different from the usual Turkey Day cook. I'll be cooking on the WSK instead of the oven.

But this recipe suggests cooking at 450F which sounds like a disaster. Just checking to see if anyone has roasted a bird at those temps?

Pho-Spiced Turkey
1 12-14 lb turkey spatchcocked
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
6 cloves
1 black cardamom pod
1 tbsp baking soda
4 tbsp Diamond kosher salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp neutral oil, like canola
Freshly ground black pepper
Vegetables like baby bok choy, mushrooms, and onions for roasting under the bird (optional)
In a small skillet, toast the spices over medium-high heat until they’re very fragrant, about a minute, stirring or shaking the pan constantly so they don’t burn.
Using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle, finely grind the toasted spices. Mix the kosher salt, brown sugar, and baking soda with the spices to make a rub.
Position the turkey on a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub the turkey all over — inside and outside — with the spice mixture. You may not need all of it, but make sure the turkey is well-covered.
Put the turkey uncovered in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours, and up to 3 days.
Remove the turkey from the refrigerator at least an hour before cooking, and preheat the oven to 450ºF.
Set the brined turkey, skin side up, on a wire rack covering a clean baking sheet, or in a roasting pan. You can sprinkle torn up vegetables like sliced onions, baby bok choy, and mushrooms under the rack so they roast in the turkey drippings — and personally, I would — but it’s optional.
Pat the turkey dry with paper towels, coat with oil, and season the skin and the inside of the bird liberally with black pepper.
Roast until the breast meat registers 150F, and the thigh meat hits 165F, about 70 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes, then carve.

I like smoked turkey, yet for thanksgiving I like an oven roasted bird, and the keys for me are:

1. Wet brine overnight on Tuesday night. Wed's pull the bird out, rinse and air dry overnight in the fridge.
2. Take bird out of the refrigerator 2 hours before it goes into the oven and put a ziplock of crushed ice on the breast.
3. Preheat oven to 475F, then roast Roast breast up 45 mins at 475F, after that turned down to 325F. Roast until finish temp in the breast is 151F

Once we forgot to set a timer and it went 2 1/2 hours at 475F. We just shut off the oven and let it roll. It was great.

On the WSK, you can start it hot and bring the temp down after 30 to 45 mins, or just run it hot for the entire cook.

maybe for the first 30 minutes to help render the skin. i wouldn't go the distance at 450F though. you'd pull all the moisture out of it and make it into wood when done.

i like to direct sear my turkey over the coals, both sides, to get some char marks on the skin/meat, and then go indirect, skin side up at around 350F to ensure the skin renders and the meat remains moist. and a wet brine for 24 hours before an overnight dry exposed in the fridge to help the skin dry up before the herb/evoo rub and grilling. the key is your pull temps. 155F on breast and 180F on dark. and let them rest 30 minutes before carving them all up.

personally, l love pho, but i don't think i'd do a pho turkey. too much risk when everyone is expecting to just eat a good bird. but hey, maybe this will work for you?!?!?!

Thanks all, I have thought the better of it and decided my crowd (including a nonagenarian) might not groove on the pho thing. The birds are in the trusty apple brine now and we'll have nice outdoor cooking weather on Thursday.

I am going to try that pho rub on a chicken sometime soon.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I cook a turkey over a charcoal rotisserie, and usually put water in the pan below. I neglected to fill the water during a recent turkey cook and it caused a pretty major flare-up, crisping the skin too much. After that, I figured I'd try using play sand from Lowe's in the drip pan instead of the water to see what happens. Well, without the water as a heat sink I was getting temps over 500 degrees for most of the play sand chicken cook, topping out at 515 or so. I can't say that the chicken was better at that temp. It seemed like it was a little too much heat and too fast for the bird.

So I can not recommend that high of a temp for the turkey. I think the play sand chicken was slightly drier than the water pan chicken usually is (at the lower temp of 350-375 or so). It was edible, just not ideal in my opinion.

For Thanksgiving, I'll be going back to water in the pan and will be trying a little harder to pay attention to not let it run out.

I only cooked spatchcocked turkey now as I don't care about whole bird presentation - makes it super quick/easy. I'll separate the bird out into the white meat on one tray, and dark meat on another tray so I can pull them out at their desired temps. I cook in either the oven or on the kamado or both (depending on if I want traditional oven flavor or "q" flavor.

I do it at 425, but going to 450 would probably work just fine too. I pull white out at about 155 to rest, and do dark to about 180ish. I make gravy the day before using the backbone, neck and various other scrap parts.

Back