Thinking about a Weber Kettle 26er

Bill Hall

TVWBB Fan
I've been thinking about getting a 26er lately and wanted some insight. I already have a WSM 18 and a 22 inch Kettle. I wanted something to cook larger portions for the few times a year I cook for 6-8 people. I would be cooking things like turkeys, ribs, wings, and random bone-in chicken pieces or halves. I bought a Pit Barrel Cooker for this purpose but I just don't like it that much. The 26er is pretty expensive and I don't know anyone that has one nor have I ever seen one on display. Would I be better off just getting an additional 22 for half the price? The largest thing I would probably cook would be up to a 15-pound turkey. I've also heard the 26er can have leg issues because of the weight. Looking forward to your suggestions.

I've been doing this for 4 years--which doesn't come close to the span of times others have regularly been cooking outdoors--but the 26" has been a part of my experience for 3.x years. I would not want to be without it. I've never done ribs on a Kettle but there are 4 of us in our household and my Mother-in-law along with my Niece (and kids) live around the corner. Between that and the fact that I'm used to a two-zone pit I am grateful for the space. I also have a 26" Gabby's Grill Santa Maria attachment, with which I find pure enjoyment.

On all Weber Kettles (I think) given how the legs attach to the bowl there is flex. This is a good thing in my humble opinion and none of my Kettles have compromised legs.

I've been doing this for 4 years--which doesn't come close to the span of times others have regularly been cooking outdoors--but the 26" has been a part of my experience for 3.x years. I would not want to be without it. I've never done ribs on a Kettle but there are 4 of us in our household and my Mother-in-law along with my Niece (and kids) live around the corner. Between that and the fact that I'm used to a two-zone pit I am grateful for the space. I also have a 26" Gabby's Grill Santa Maria attachment, with which I find pure enjoyment.

On all Weber Kettles (I think) given how the legs attach to the bowl there is flex. This is a good thing in my humble opinion and none of my Kettles have compromised legs.
Thanks for the reply. I also enjoy a two-zone pit, I feel like it's more versatile. The only time I do ribs on the kettle is when I'm too lazy to whip out the WSM. I actually recently just started doing it and the kettle cooks them pretty good. I'm glad to hear you don't have issues with the legs. It makes me feel like I'm not wasting money if I decide to get the big kettle.

I’m only cooking for 2 most of the time and I love my 26” kettle. The extra space is very nice for a two zone fire and I’m frequently grilling vegetables in the weber grilling basket which takes up a lot of space. It’s also nice having the extra space when we have family over and I’m cooking for 8-10 people.

I have an older 26" Bar-B-Q-Kettle and while I don't use it very often, it can't be beat when the space is needed. I probably use it most for chicken wings, when I make a large batch and do them direct over a low fire. My only quibble is that sometimes I think the grate is too close to the coals and I'd like some sort of 2" spacer.

I'd love a 26"er. Most that have them really like them.
22" can commonly be found on FB Marketplace for $20-40. I'm not in a position to buy a new 26"er so if it were me, I'd just pickup another 22" and run two of those. If you have the money and space to store it, then go for it!

I’m only cooking for 2 most of the time and I love my 26” kettle. The extra space is very nice for a two zone fire and I’m frequently grilling vegetables in the weber grilling basket which takes up a lot of space. It’s also nice having the extra space when we have family over and I’m cooking for 8-10 people.
Thanks for the advice. I never thought about the extra accessories it can fit compared to the 22.

I have an older 26" Bar-B-Q-Kettle and while I don't use it very often, it can't be beat when the space is needed. I probably use it most for chicken wings, when I make a large batch and do them direct over a low fire. My only quibble is that sometimes I think the grate is too close to the coals and I'd like some sort of 2" spacer.
I’ve never tried wings over a direct fire. I usually just cook them indirect at a higher temp. I’ll have to try it out. Might get more of the traditional char grilled taste on them.

I'd love a 26"er. Most that have them really like them.
22" can commonly be found on FB Marketplace for $20-40. I'm not in a position to buy a new 26"er so if it were me, I'd just pickup another 22" and run two of those. If you have the money and space to store it, then go for it!
The 26er is definitely a want over a need and is pretty expensive. I would however be selling my Pit Barrel Cooker so that would offset the price a little. Even though it wouldn’t be used all the time, it would just be nice to have. Thanks for the info.

I will be upfront and say I do not own a 26er currently simply because I have a Ranch for bigger cooks. However, I will eventually have one if I find a good deal on one or Weber finally does a color 26er or improved leg system.

I think that having a 26er and a 22 would be great for about anyone who grills for a small group of people or more. Having more space for different zones for cooking is just awesome. A 22 works great for 2 to 6 people most days and is just compatible with so many accessories. The 26er is great for those 6 plus person cooks where you can have a fair amount of left overs or you are looking to cook large pieces of meat. There are some accessories for the 26er too. Cajun Bandit makes a 26 roti if you want to make a giant turkey.

If you are patient and not picky you might be able to snag a used one for $100 to $200 if you are watching Facebook constantly. Most people that drop the $300 plus are still very satisfied with their purchase.

I will be upfront and say I do not own a 26er currently simply because I have a Ranch for bigger cooks. However, I will eventually have one if I find a good deal on one or Weber finally does a color 26er or improved leg system.

I think that having a 26er and a 22 would be great for about anyone who grills for a small group of people or more. Having more space for different zones for cooking is just awesome. A 22 works great for 2 to 6 people most days and is just compatible with so many accessories. The 26er is great for those 6 plus person cooks where you can have a fair amount of left overs or you are looking to cook large pieces of meat. There are some accessories for the 26er too. Cajun Bandit makes a 26 roti if you want to make a giant turkey.

If you are patient and not picky you might be able to snag a used one for $100 to $200 if you are watching Facebook constantly. Most people that drop the $300 plus are still very satisfied with their purchase.
I saw a Ranch in person not too long ago and it was huge. I was in awe of just how much you could fit on one of those things. I was hoping Weber would do some colors or at least update the vents and ash catcher like they did the 22s but don't think it will happen. I actively check the listings but seems like most people keep their 26ers.

The downside of ME getting a 26” would be I’d have to build a new “Ultra Overperformer”! A 26” with a 22. The 22 plus 18 has served so well for me, I’m not sure I want to poke the bear and broach the subject unless I find a 26 for a song!
Then, I will get on the horn with my wife’s cousin and do something really cool. Maybe a four kettle/double decker concept!?!?!? The mind boggles!
Maybe I’ve been in isolation too long spending more time here than I should! I hear a beer calling my name!

I’ve wanted a Ranch for years but that opens an even bigger can of worms! A “horseshoe” design with the Ranch, 26, 22 and 18 WSM on lower level with an “Upper Deck” of 18”, Smokey Joe, Go Anywhere maybe the hibachi for coal ignition and really quick dog grilling! Beer is calling again!

Last edited:

I completely agree. I haven’t needed to get accessories for my 26”, but when I’ve looked there aren’t nearly as many available as there are for the 22”. If my wife would let me I’d probably add a 22” to my collection, but I already get questions on why I need the 3 grills I have plus the WSM.

Get the 26". You wont regret it. I made an extension ring with sheet metal and made the ring to accept a rotisserie and love doing my turkeys and large cuts on it. We are a family of four and I use it at least every other week if not more.

I completely agree. I haven’t needed to get accessories for my 26”, but when I’ve looked there aren’t nearly as many available as there are for the 22”. If my wife would let me I’d probably add a 22” to my collection, but I already get questions on why I need the 3 grills I have plus the WSM.

If your wife has a favorite color find the closest match on weber.com and say it is because she loves that color. :p

Honestly, I have probably purchased 9+ grills in the past year and a half (some of them keepers, some to trade, some for parts) and I would probably have more if it wasn't for all of this COVID-19 stuff slowing me down from finding vintage. Tell them you got a good deal, that it is rare, that you couldn't help yourself, and etc.. Honestly, everyone has their own hobbie/thing that spouses tend to have to accept it in my opinion. Just make sure you are doing what you can to make it up to them for your hobbie/thing.

I hear you Bill-MO,
My wife has not once really shut me down on,any of the grills I’ve gotten, she thinks I’m BAT stuff crazy but just sighs and says “As you wish” and shakes her head. Then a make her a lovely dinner (whether on the grill or not) and all’s right with the world.
In the case of a 26” or Ranch, it might take a week of incredible feasts! Oh, and a new garage:ROFLMAO:!

I keep a pretty close eye on facebook for Weber grills. Since December I've only seen one 26"er in the Atlanta area and it was selling for $200. They don't pop up very often in my neck of the woods.

Get the 26". You wont regret it. I made an extension ring with sheet metal and made the ring to accept a rotisserie and love doing my turkeys and large cuts on it. We are a family of four and I use it at least every other week if not more.
So did you need to fabricate the spit for it or is there something available already?

I did find some accessories that I would get if I decided to get it. They make a SnS XL for it. While not needed, I prefer it because it keeps things easy. It already comes with a stainless grate and baskets too which is a plus.

Back