thermapen problem

Rick Moore

TVWBB Super Fan
So I have had my thermapen for a few years now and I haven't had to replace the batteries yet. Recently the top LCD in the tens place has gone out - so when looking at an 8 on it, the top bar across is missing. This isn't critical in that there are no numbers that are distinguishable without this LCD but it is a nuisance for sure. Anyone have this problem before and is the first sign in a LCD of the batteries going dead?

Thanks in advance...hate to fork out this type of dough again...

Not sure, but it doesn't sound like a battery problem. I would call or e-mail Thermapen and ask them about it. A lot of times when you buy high end equipment like a Thermapen, they are more worried about customer satisfaction than the technical terms of their warranty. They might offer to repair or replace it for free or a reduced rate. It's one of those things that "it doesn't hurt to ask" and you never know what you'll get.

Let us know how it turns out if you do contact them.

Mine is a year old, and I bought an extra battery for my comp box "just in case". Well, you guessed it, I go to use it this past weekend and I'm getting wacky readings like 675* and flikckering LCD display or no readout. I replace the battery and nothing changes. End up borrowing one from another cook. Get home and it appears to work fine now. So I call Thermoworks and was told that sometimes they get a short in the circuit boards and to press gently on the LCD display if it happens again. Not very reassuring.

I am on the brink(today)of ordering a Thermapen. I have not heard any bad stuff until now. Has anyone else had any problems? I hate to spend those kind of $$ on something that may cause problems because there are other grill toys I've got my eye on also.

Ivan,

Let me start off by saying I like my thermapen a lot, and should I have to replace one I would.

I got one about two years ago, and after a month or so of use it began to malfunction. I would open it up and the readings would randomly jump all over the place, I am talking about swings of 200 or more degrees and it would not settle on a temperature. I contacted customer service and got a bit of a run around and some accusations. As you can imagine that did not sit well. Long story short, after a little wrestling match they replaced it, and I have had no such problems since.

Gary

I've had mine for nearly a year, without a problem.I'm very happy with mine. It would concern me though, if customer service gave me the run around on a $90 thermometer.

I agree, I got a thermapen and it didn't work. The customer service was just okay with replacing it, but they did. It would be nice if every customer service was like Weber, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a Thermapen. I'm sure they'll stand behind their product.

a while back phil harcher recommended a thermoworks to me. I ran short of cash since then, but one day i'm set on calling them.

Thanks guys.I've been wanting it for a while. I know I'll like it and it will get used everyday. I've got to do a little research on where to get it from. Any thoughts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ivan Stratton:
... I've got to do a little research on where to get it from. Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only place I'm aware of is direct from ThermoWorks.com . Here's a link direct to their "Super Fast" Thermapens.

HTH,

Bill

Brian - hate to say that your remedy fixed it - at least for now. I squeezed the sides a little and pushed on the back - and it would flicker on and off - I didn't want to push on the screen itself. So after the squeezing worked to make it flicker, I assume it is a short - I tapped the back a few times - lightly - and for now, that lcd is working. We'll see what happens from here...

But as others have said, I wouldn't hesitate in purchasing one - they are great tools.

I had one that worked fine for over a year. Then I dropped it on a hardwood floor while it was on and it doesn't work now. I went ahead and replaced it and have not gotten around to calling them about the original.

I've dealt with thermapens customer service and had very satisfactory results. I was out of warranty (and even if i wasnt it wasnt a warranty issue) and they gave me a couple of options for replacement. At well less than the cost of buying a new one.

Mine failed because I loaned it to someone and they left it out in the rain
icon_mad.gif
. FYI its NOT waterproof but I dont think I could live without one now!!!

They definitely have a great product. Glad to hear that their support is good as well.

I think I have dropped mine once or twice without any negative effects.

Back