ThermaPen One on sale.....

Out of all the Thermoworks things I have the Smoke has been by far the best, zero issues, no drop offs or goofy readings. Had it two years and only one probe has failed and that was my fault. But yes I still have my maverick as a backup.

Yes Brian,
Yes, I put the Spike and the Smoke in a turkey last year so the probes were very close to each other in the bird. They both were within a few degrees of each other throughout the cook and even the ambient temps were very close despite the Spike being at the top of the bird and the smoke probe being down at grate level. I am confident in them both being quite accurate.

I called ThermoPro just now about my base unit not connecting to my probe. They just asked if I tried pressing the "S" button, which I had and told her the same. She just asked for my order number and address and said she is sending out a new unit and I should get it in 3-5 business days. Funny thing is, I had looked and the warranty had ended on it in January.

Yes Brian,
Yes, I put the Spike and the Smoke in a turkey last year so the probes were very close to each other in the bird. They both were within a few degrees of each other throughout the cook and even the ambient temps were very close despite the Spike being at the top of the bird and the smoke probe being down at grate level. I am confident in them both being quite accurate.

I called ThermoPro just now about my base unit not connecting to my probe. They just asked if I tried pressing the "S" button, which I had and told her the same. She just asked for my order number and address and said she is sending out a new unit and I should get it in 3-5 business days. Funny thing is, I had looked and the warranty had ended on it in January.

Gotta love good customer service or not lax enforcement of warranty expirations!

I watched the review on the TempSpike portion and he was pretty high on it. He did have a couple pet peeves about it, but nothing that concerned me.

I watched the review on the TempSpike portion and he was pretty high on it. He did have a couple pet peeves about it, but nothing that concerned me.
Yeah - I was surprised at how highly he rated the TempSpike after hearing others complain about it....
But as he said, just like the reports I heard, it comes down more to the app interface and the quality of the BT connection for most of the units as to how well they are rated. I'm more surprised that the ambient sensors are as sketchy on all the units --- it makes sense being so close to the (cold) meat and the heat piping/heavy thermal resistance of the probes --- you don't run into those issues with a thin wired probe unless you put it too close to the meat. I guess its a trade off of how long you actually make the probes as to how well they track the pit temps.

Yep, there is some tradeoff for the sheer convenience. I have one of each, so if I need something very reliable and accurate, I go with my Thermoworks Smoke, but since I got my ThermoSpike, it get 3x as much use as the Smoke. And I have absolutely no complaints on connectivity and/or range.

And the fact that he was demoting units with apps that 'don't export data'...... thats not really hi on MY list.
Somehow that makes cooking 'more better'...... who the hell is going to save temp profiles...... Only important to the vloggers.

And it seems like the way to minimize any discrepancy for the ambient readings is to put the probe into the meat horizontally with the ambient sensors AWAY from the meat rather than vertically...... sometimes you have to think about what you are doing.... wired probes are not affected by the orientation.

Last edited:

Back