The WSM "hot squat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Susan:

Then:
"Quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand." The young Caine tries and fails. "When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave. -Master Kan

Now:
"Quickly as you can, snatch the bbq rib from my hand." The young Caine tries, and pulls back a handful of mangled fingers. "That'll teach you." -Master Smoker

icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't tried to PP for some time, I'd rather stir the coals through the door. I'd rather get my ash kicked than be forced to PP.

Greg,

When you DROP the whole shebang, it REALLY stirs the ashed up! But by then you're headed to the hospital anyway, so it doesn't really matter....!

Same as Larry D. I would do it all the time with my ECB, the handles made it easier. I constantly had to add fuel or stir ashes to try and keep it at temp. I've only had my WSM a couple of weeks, but from the few times I used it....Wow what a difference, THe WSM holds temps so well I don't think I'll be needing the the PP method again .

As I've stated before, the center section on mine fits so tight that there is absolutely NO way I can seperate the thing while hot without the grates and the water pan flying everywhere. As it is I have to place my two " coal stirring, door propping, branding iron" pieces of rebar inside two of the legs so I can step on them to gain enough leverage to get the thing apart. Otherwise the whole thing just lifts off the ground. If you feel the need to play with the fire during the cook, light a chimney full of charcoal and then get some tongs and try spelling your name inside the cooker by placing the burning coals in through the access door one at a time. That should keep you occupied long enough for the urge to pass.

"If you've ever opened a beer at a funeral".....Jeff Foxworthy

First I just opened the access door and stirred/added briquettes, then lifted the lid and blew all the ash off the ribs (if you're doing wet ribs, this step doesn't help).

Then I added handles and did the "hot squat" and stirred/added briquettes. Then reversed the "hot squat". No need to blow the ash off.

Then I started using the Minion Method. No need to stir/add briquettes.

Thanks for all the replies! I count 44% Hot Squatters and 56% No Way! Here's how it came out:

Hot Squatters
-------------
Bryan S. ("Since Day 1, baby"
icon_cool.gif
)
Stone
Shawn W. (He's guilty, you can tell.
icon_razz.gif
)
Jim Warren
Kevinator
John L.
John Mason (with the handles that Jim Warren doesn't have yet)

Non-Hot Squatters
-----------------
Chris K. (mentions a mysterious door somewhere)
Chet Johnson
Tom Ferguson (thanks for the PP label Tom!)
Larry Wolfe
Owen Layton (not yet, anyway)
Jerry N.
Paul G. ("unsafe at any speed")
Anthony Ciarlillo
Ken McCrary (but you know he would if he could
icon_wink.gif
)

Impossible to tell
------------------
Larry D. (probably has
icon_wink.gif
)
Susan Z. (aka "Grasshopper")
Greg Rempe (always with the bathroom humor, Greg
icon_cool.gif
)
-and-
Jim Minion (with that many smokes, at least once?
icon_smile.gif
)

Good stuff!

Doug

P.S. And with this, my 30th post, I FINALLY lose the "New Member" label! Hey wait -- it's still there! What the...
icon_eek.gif

I did not make it through all the post with out doing the <span class="ev_code_RED">HOT POST</span> I have never had to do that even once. Use more Kingsford.
icon_razz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back