The Turkey Has Landed

turkalurk_zps7bm5sutn.jpg

Got a pre-brined 11-pounder from Trader Joe's as my first complete turkey cook. Just me and the missus this year.

About five hours on the WSM 18.5. Used Kingsford Blue with pecan chunks. She's doing the sides right now, so we haven't had our Thanksgiving meal yet. I gobbled down (see what I did there?) the neck and it was tremendous.

Hope everyone had a great T-Day! May the smoke be with you!

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments, everybody.

Steve, I had a hard time initially getting temps up above 250. It cooked for about 3 hours at 250. First hour and a half I had the pan in then, took it out. Didn't really move the needle on the temps. So I added more fuel and a chimney and a half of lit coals and that got the temps to about 305. But it wouldn't hold at that temp, until I started futzing with the silver door flap. I pulled it when the breast was at 170 and the thigh was 185-ish. Let it rest for an hour, then put it back on the smoker for about an hour to warm it up for serving. I think that last hour really did something...the skin was super crispy and the meat was perfect...nice and juicy. I'd say, including the rest and with the final stage back on the WSM, it was probably about five hours.

I was kind of ready to be disappointed in this cook, but it came out great. I've heard mixed on pecan and fowl (some say it's too strong and overpowering) and I couldn't get the higher temps I was hoping for, but overall, it came out wonderfully. Really delicious.

One thing I should add was that I tried to loosely follow the Thanksgiving turkey cook method that Aaron Franklin demonstrated a few years ago on his YouTube channel.

On the third video in the series, he adds about a pound of butter towards the end of the cook and foiled the whole thing. I did that as well. Maybe that makes a difference.

Back