The 'SMOKettle' - Anyone ever heard of or used it?

W Tyler

TVWBB All-Star
http://www.smokettle.com/

3.6 lbs of stainless steel and lets you use basically all the grill space on the kettle. I like the concept much better than the Smokenator and it's cheaper too. If it works as advertised, then adding the stainless steel flip grate from Weber may make this a decent "poor man's" smoker.

Thoughts?

Interesting concept, but wouldn't a pizza pan and a second grate serve the same purpose? In either case, adding charcoal seems like it will be a bit harder.

Andrew, it says you can use it wet or dry.

It looks interesting to me. I am wondering how long the charcoal would last. It seems that on a really long cook, you would have to take everything off and add charcoal. Also, it uses more charcoal than say, the snake method.
It does afford you plenty of indirect cooking space, however. Also, the price is not bad, even to a cheap bastard like me.

For the 50 or 60 bucks that it sells for,it seems expensive for what you are getting. I think it might be more fun to build a mini.

I'm confused about a need for something like this. in all my cooking I have never thought "I wish I had a big plate under the grate " .

How about coals banked to one or two sides and control heat with bottom vents? works for me.
If one wants water for a heat sink, or to catch grease, put a disposable aluminum pan with water under the meat. works for me.

Looks like it would be a mess to clean up too.
Just my opinion.

ditto what bbobb ccorrellll ssaidd. hehe. that's the big reasons i don't have gadgets... clean up. purist. meat, fire, pit.

don't lift the lid...

I did something similar at this thread

I think I got at or close to 12 hrs of cook time.. so no concerns with adding fuel unless cooking at a much higher heat.

I feel this method on a kettle is about the best compared with the available options (smokenator, snake, banked coals). Heat is more even, consistent heat, can use most of the grill, and runs for a decent amount of time. Once the air vents are dialed in an over nighter should not be an issue. If one wants to be able to cook a full brisket, 2-3 pork butts, or full racks of ribs this is a decent option.

I think the stainless makes this product more expensize. I just use plain steel which I got for free with a baking pan on top. A non-galvanized water heater pan or deep dish pizza pan works as well.

That's pretty good idea J. I'll definitely be remembering that if I ever need to use my kettle as an option.

I did something similar at this thread

I think I got at or close to 12 hrs of cook time.. so no concerns with adding fuel unless cooking at a much higher heat.

I feel this method on a kettle is about the best compared with the available options (smokenator, snake, banked coals). Heat is more even, consistent heat, can use most of the grill, and runs for a decent amount of time. Once the air vents are dialed in an over nighter should not be an issue. If one wants to be able to cook a full brisket, 2-3 pork butts, or full racks of ribs this is a decent option.

I think the stainless makes this product more expensize. I just use plain steel which I got for free with a baking pan on top. A non-galvanized water heater pan or deep dish pizza pan works as well.

Very cool! I may try this for my first smoked Turkey. It should be a pretty big bird and my 18.5 WSM won't be able to handle it...but my 22.5 grill can :).

Back