The Searwood has arrived!

If I were to go Searwood this time around I would probably go with the smaller one, I bought a WSM 22 and the bigger SmokeFire I always wondered if the smaller versions would run better with less heat needed. I also rarely filled either up with food.
I’ve wondered the same. Was thinking adding an EX4 but maybe the small Searwood? I can fill my Smokefire up but in general use it’s not more than about 1/4 capacity. I’ve also wondered about the size difference with smaller cooks

I inquired about a second meat probe for my XL 600. Weber says you have to buy it through them and it’s $32 before tax & shipping. I have a Flameboss temp controller for my ceramic slow cooker and have several meat probes. It has the same plug as the Weber so I thought oh great - until I tried it out. It read 280F while the Weber probe was 70F. I don’t know enough about thermocouples but could they have: 1) k-type vs j-type 2) Weber swapped the wires on the plug end 3) Weber put a resistor or the such in the probe to prevent use of third party probes?

Seems like it took him a long time and he made note of some pretty hard temp variation. Can't help but wonder if they would have been done much sooner and had much more even temps if he just quit "playing" with them. And let the grill do it's job. Looked pretty darn good to me otherwise
I am convinced that all the playing with the meat on youtube is simply because "just throw it on and leave it" wouldn't generate any views. I mean, really, "rub with what you want and set the smoker to 225 and pull at 203ish" for most smoked meats wouldn't generate ad revenue.

20lbs for 10 hours, that seems like a lot unless he had the temp up over 250F. I did a 15 hour smoke at 225/250 and only used about 18 lb of pellets in the SmokeFire.
He confirmed in the comments he did burn about 20 pounds of weber pellets in 10 hours.

Maiden voyage for my rotisserie yesterday. Worked well but I put a pan under it with onions and sweet potatoes (saw this on a YT video) and the cook took too long and burnt them. Probably made a mistake using a Purdue Oven Stuffer. It was so big it took over 2 hours at 385F. Tasted great but next time I'll use smaller chickens.

The Searwood took just under 13 minutes to reach 385F - impressed me. Think on my next cook I will put my Flame Boss pit temp probe in the grill. The Weber temp signature shows like no variation in temp at all.

Forgot to take a picture of the cooked chicken.

IMG_6148.jpg

Too bad about over cooking the side dish. But, I hear ya. I've had the same thing happen using one of those huge bionic birds. Really cool the bird and rotisserie worked well though.
I'd thought about modding my cookers to take a rotisserie as well. But, during that thinking process, I'd put a whole bird on and was amazed at how well and evenly it cooked for me.
I'd reported that here on one of the many threads and another member noted (I forget who at this point), that "of course it would cook nicely because the pellet grills operate like a "convection" oven"
The more I thought about it more I saw that. They do move enough air that you can feel it coming out the vents on back. So, I abandoned thoughts of modding my grills.
Would be interesting now to see how it would work just putting the bird on the top rack, and either nothing under it, or something akin to what you did, (in my case I used a small 1/2 sheet pan nothing in it) under it on first shelf.
So would really like to see your thoughts and whether the rotisserie really made a better bird.
So that is your assignment, should you be captured the MI team will disavow all knowledge of you.
And now this post will go up in flames :D

Too bad about over cooking the side dish. But, I hear ya. I've had the same thing happen using one of those huge bionic birds. Really cool the bird and rotisserie worked well though.
I'd thought about modding my cookers to take a rotisserie as well. But, during that thinking process, I'd put a whole bird on and was amazed at how well and evenly it cooked for me.
I'd reported that here on one of the many threads and another member noted (I forget who at this point), that "of course it would cook nicely because the pellet grills operate like a "convection" oven"
The more I thought about it more I saw that. They do move enough air that you can feel it coming out the vents on back. So, I abandoned thoughts of modding my grills.
Would be interesting now to see how it would work just putting the bird on the top rack, and either nothing under it, or something akin to what you did, (in my case I used a small 1/2 sheet pan nothing in it) under it on first shelf.
So would really like to see your thoughts and whether the rotisserie really made a better bird.
So that is your assignment, should you be captured the MI team will disavow all knowledge of you.
And now this post will go up in flames :D
My experience with cooking a spatchcocked turkey on the pellet grill was different. I'd do it again for sure but I wouldn't spatchcock it again. I think it cooked too fast and the legs ended up a bit overcooked...tasty but rough eating. The just "use it as a convection oven" thing again rings true.

Maiden voyage for my rotisserie yesterday. Worked well but I put a pan under it with onions and sweet potatoes (saw this on a YT video) and the cook took too long and burnt them. Probably made a mistake using a Purdue Oven Stuffer. It was so big it took over 2 hours at 385F. Tasted great but next time I'll use smaller chickens.

The Searwood took just under 13 minutes to reach 385F - impressed me. Think on my next cook I will put my Flame Boss pit temp probe in the grill. The Weber temp signature shows like no variation in temp at all.

Forgot to take a picture of the cooked chicken.

View attachment 90523

Looks good, Mike. I'll usually just put taters, etc in the pan later to try and time their finish with the bird.

Anyone get the Searwood XL 600 cover? I did and have two concerns:
1) The cover seems too short and doesn't protect the bottom shelf. There are 4 thin Velcro straps that look like you are supposed to wrap around the legs but they still allow dirt and rain to get on the shelf. Plus, I'm almost 68 and not fun reaching down the the ground in 4 corners to attach the leg Velcro and then taking it off isn't fun.
2) I purchased the rotisserie and the bracket for the motor seems like it may cut the cover over time.

I probably will think of something to protect the bracket and I have some machine covers that have magnets sewed into the edge to hold the covers to the machines. Maybe Weber should incorporate this.

I love the grill so far but stuff like this upsets me - just make the cover 2" longer!

Back