The project has begun!!

I had the flat from the old cleanup. I suppose I could blow a coat or two on it but, this is more like the way they were made.
I have time to mull that over. I guess I’m going to have to get the tape and semi gloss out again anyway!🥴
Full disclosure, I had ALL this paint from the last project! Nice to get some crap out of the basement!

Now, the lunacy of building this whole thing in stainless has set in and, thanks to so many people here for the insight on how to NOT make some of the mistakes I sure would have!
Lunacy? I hope not! I built two frames out of stainless. They should last a hundred years!
It’s been five years since I finished mine. After reading this thread, I might have to do a freshening up!
IMG_2576.jpeg

Gerry

Considering modifying the side tables, not doing the swing up, making a slide out instead, still in planning stage. Also trying to decide on how to do the bottom, solid sheet or something else? I just don’t know what else.

I did the stainless frame on 2 projects and just couldn’t seem to fall in love with the finished look on either one for whatever reason. Maybe it’s just not my taste profile.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.png
    IMG_0721.png
    922.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3318.jpeg
    IMG_3318.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 17
You could simply paint the SS.
Very true. They were both flips and sold quickly so others don’t seem to have a problem with the look. Platinum frames are as prevalent as ever in my area this year so I might revisit another SS project after I get the dozen or X000’s in the boneyard rehabbed…as if that will ever happen in my lifetime. Too many grills & too little time as always. This unique color is almost done, though.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3630.jpeg
    IMG_3630.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 11
Not to criticize.... but why no semi gloss on the firebox? I've used flat myself in the past, but thats because I screwed up - or didn't have a choice - and got flat. I would bet some semi gloss against a SS frame would pop!
My taste runs in the all semi-gloss, so that’s what I always do.

IMG_3889.jpeg

Others like the contrast. I think it is probably true that the older Webers originally had a flat firebox.

Aesthetically speaking, the stainless doesn't do a whole lot for me, but knowing that it is stainless, certainly does. I would love to get my hands on a stainless frame.
I understand that to be sure but, welded construction and electropolished not worrying about weather quite as much appeals to me. Besides, it’s giving me some time with my nephew.

I am holding out hope that someday I can come across a blue lid genesis 2, 2000 style (I swear I have seen them, but not 100%), and paint the end caps, and cook box in silver and the end cap hardware in black, and see what it looks like. I have always loved blue and silver together, and then possibly do the frame in silver, with durawood tables, and bottom slats. I do auto-body so I am pretty well versed in painting, and the prep.

I am holding out hope that someday I can come across a blue lid genesis 2, 2000 style (I swear I have seen them, but not 100%), and paint the end caps, and cook box in silver and the end cap hardware in black, and see what it looks like. I have always loved blue and silver together, and then possibly do the frame in silver, with durawood tables, and bottom slats. I do auto-body so I am pretty well versed in painting, and the prep.
I had considered silver for the caps! And the firebox at one point but, silver high heat paint is not an easy find (that really looks good, at least I couldn’t find any) within a reasonable cost.
I’m really liking the way the box came together, still debating the table material, I had considered diamond plate but, I’m not sure, a laser cut bottom panel could be interesting, that’s far enough down the road I’m not too worried about that yet.

Back