The point where the grill is ready for food?

JamesH

TVWBB Fan
Most of my experience is with direct grilling, and as I've tried to start indirect grilling for ribs and chicken I can't seem to get the grill temps right. It's always way too hot and I end up cooking for a much shorter time. I think I'm putting the food on too early.

Right now I'm waiting until ash is starting to show at the top coals of the chimney starter before putting them in my OTG. I then let the grill get going for a few minutes before putting food on. How long do y'all normally wait here at this point? Are there any low flames going on the coals or are they supposed to be completely ashes over?

James, sounds like you are doing everything right to start the charcoal. If the temp is too high then maybe use less charcoal or use the minion method. Also, make sure you don't have the vent wide open. Some folks here also use firebricks as a heat blocker on in-direct cooks.

Oh the waiting game...
I don't know if it is right, but here is what I do.
Get my coals ashed, dump in the grill, and cover. Wait to see where the temp is going to sit, and start closing vents. But never the top. Once the temp sits where I want it, on goes the food. And after doing this once or a hundred times, you know about how to close the vents before hand and wait just a bit.
Just my two cents.

I assume you are working with your OTG. On my OTS, for ribs, I use fire brick to bank the coals on one side and fill it up. 8-10 lit on top with bottom vents closed will keep me around 260-280 at the dome. Don't peak for the first few hours because you will then start to run hotter.

For regular grilling indirect, 1/2 to 3/4 of chimney lit will work just fine. I keep my vents open for indirect grilling like this.

Hope that helps.

James,

Unless I'm cooking something that I know will stick to the grate and I need to preheat the grill grate, I begin cooking as soon as I get the coals out of the chimney and in position.

Keep in mind that coals aren't really going to get any hotter than they were when they ashed over in your chimney. All else being equal, the heat output will slowly decline until there's nothing but ash remaining.

If things are too hot, or hotter than expected, you're probably just lighting off too many coals. I'm using an 18.5, but it's rare that I light a full chimney.

Did ribs tonight, came out much better. Held around 225° for almost five hours then dropped to 180 and I couldn't get it back up even with the OTG wide open. It was cooked enough though and the ribs were awesome. I'm getting there.

Originally posted by JamesH:
Did ribs tonight, came out much better. Held around 225° for almost five hours then dropped to 180 and I couldn't get it back up even with the OTG wide open. It was cooked enough though and the ribs were awesome. I'm getting there.

When I do ribs on my Performer I always use the minion method. Get yourself a few firebricks to lay across the grill, stack up about 3/4 up the side of the bricks with unlit charcoal and wood chunks, then fire it off on one side with 8/10 Briqs lit on one side of the grill. The coals will catch and burn across like a fuse. I can get about 6 hours burn @ 250 measured in the top vent using about a chimney of charcoal this way. The temp doesn't start to drop until the 6 hour mark. The good thing about this method is that if you need to prolong the cook you can add more unlit and the fire will burn its way back in the direction it started.

It's super important to learn your vents on your specific cooker and more important to sweep the ashes once an hour on the kettle. You don't have to open the lid, but moving the one touch system from side to side to clear ash buildup is critical.

Depends on what you are doing. For lower temps I use only half a chimney and bank to one side. If I have to I have a Kingsford temp gauge that sits on the grill grate. Cost me about 6 bucks and works good. Grilling is an art, pay attention to what works and what does not. Don't get discouraged and try again.

Thanks. Where's a good place to get firebricks? Do you have a picture of this setup?

Good tip on sweeping the ashes. Hadn't thought to do that.

Thanks. Where's a good place to get firebricks? Do you have a picture of this setup?

Most people on the forum get them at Ace Hardware, but I'm not sure if they would stock them in TX...

Here's a few pics of a great setup using lump, but you can also do this with briquettes.

100_2511.jpg
100_2515.jpg

* Photo Credits, and food awesomeness to Bob Sample

Originally posted by Stuart S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesH:

Most people on the forum get them at Ace Hardware, but I'm not sure if they would stock them in TX... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many lit coals do you put on there? I've seen differing amounts suggested.

Some place that sells wood-burning stoves and/or accessories should have firebricks. I bought mine at a local hardware store in that section.

i have had a tough time looking for firebricks also. Called a few places and some people dont even know what i am referring to.

The Ace stores here don't keep them in stock. You can order them from acehardware.com and have them shipped to the store. I ordered mine yesterday. They come in a box of 6 splits, the right ones, and cost about $20 plus tax.

Hi James,

After all the answers you received I had to have another look at your question.

I thought your question was in relation to indirect grilling as apposed to direct grilling and either way, it's supposed to be done with High heat with the difference being that the indirect method won't charr your meat as quick.
On saying this, grilling of any kind is a lot quicker than the temps you were seeking ie around the hi 200'sF , this is BBQ temp range and 225 is smoking temp range but not for grilling.

Grilling needs to be around 400F and beyond, even for indirect otherwise it's roasting or BBQing.

With indirect grilling, it's important to use the lid to make it work, but you need to keep more an eye on things as apposed to a slower cooking temp.

just my 2 cents worth
icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Davo

Originally posted by Davo:
Hi James,

After all the answers you received I had to have another look at your question.

I thought your question was in relation to indirect grilling as apposed to direct grilling and either way, it's supposed to be done with High heat with the difference being that the indirect method won't charr your meat as quick.
On saying this, grilling of any kind is a lot quicker than the temps you were seeking ie around the hi 200'sF , this is BBQ temp range and 225 is smoking temp range but not for grilling.

Grilling needs to be around 400F and beyond, even for indirect otherwise it's roasting or BBQing.

With indirect grilling, it's important to use the lid to make it work, but you need to keep more an eye on things as apposed to a slower cooking temp.

just my 2 cents worth
icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Davo

Yes and if you are trying to arrive at a Medium heat range rather then a High heat, leave the lid off of the cooker for at least 10 minutes after dumping the hot coals so it will burn down a bit. Then cover and let the grate heat up for an additional 10 minutes. with the coals banked to one side I usually find my temps in the 350-400 range using this method. That is, providing I did not use a excess of charcoal.

Back