The perfect charcoal grill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
I bought my first Performer (and first Weber since I really learned what I was doing) this year. It has revolutionized barbecue for me. I cook mainly indirect now, sometimes with a direct finish, sometimes not.

But it got me thinking, what would be even better than the Performer?

What if Weber made a Performer version of the 26" kettle, with char baskets and a table sized up to match? That would provide even more indirect cooking area, and might even obviate the 18" WSM.

I'm thinking they could probably sell this thing for $450-500. Has Weber ever considered such a grill?

Just a couple of days ago I was pondering the same thing - a 26.75 inch Performer.

It'd be HUGE with the work table. But I'd like to see something more robust and sturdy than the spindly charcoal baskets they offer now. Maybe some sort of sheet metal accessory that lets someone bank a ring of coals around the perimeter that could allow 10-12 hr smokes.

I can fit 3 full racks of trimmed spares (easily, without rolling or cutting) on my 22-inch kettle, with an indirect Smokenator type setup. The 26 should fit 5 racks easily in similar fashion.

It's definitely been discussed here before. I'd love to see a 26.75 Performer as well. 22.5 does the job but I'd love a little more space. Hopefully Weber has seen threads like these and will give it some thought.

I call Weber C.S. and suggest this once or twice a year. I feel like they take these suggestions seriously. I doubt they will do it, but I do think the feedback is something they appreciate.

However, if we are going to make it the "Perfect" grill, there are two things I would change about a potential 27 inch Performer. After using the lid holder on the back of my 26.75, I now find the left side lid holder on my Performer annoying because it's in the way. If they ever build a Performer out of the 26.75, I hope they either find a way to make the lid holder more towards the back or more out of the way if it stays on the left. Also, I'm really going to need a 26.75 inch rotisserie before I can call it the "perfect grill."

If they charge 300 bucks fer a standard 26er, them greedy folks at weber would prob. want 800 for a 26 inch performer! I myself would rather just have an extra standard kettle laying around for back up. It gives you more versatility and is much cheaper!
icon_biggrin.gif

Weber actually might listen and bring out a larger performer. I know, I was one of them, that asked Weber many times about a larger One Touch before they brought out the 26 3/4.
My personal opinion is I'm not a big fan of a performer - do not see the need for one. I have not used the gasser I have for over a year and it will soon be on my step-son's patio.
I've always been happy with my 22 1/2" One Touch Silver (it's still my "go to" grill) but wanted larger capacity without going to a Ranch Kettle - now have a 26 3/4" One Touch Gold to go with it. Always happy with my 18 1/2" WSM but had trouble fitting a whole packer brisket on the cooking grate - now have a 22 1/2" WSM to go with it.
Think all of my grill / smoker needs have been met.

there is always those that want bigger and more. but realistically i doubt there are many that will want or buy it enough for weber to do it. but then weber does have a strange way of thinking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Corall:
...My personal opinion is I'm not a big fan of a performer - do not see the need for one... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I wasn't a fan either until I got one off craigslist for $50. The table and gas starter come in handy and they are a lot sturdier.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...Always happy with my 18 1/2" WSM but had trouble fitting a whole packer brisket on the cooking grate... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One word: shoehorn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Corall:
...My personal opinion is I'm not a big fan of a performer - do not see the need for one. I have not used the gasser I have for over a year and it will soon be on my step-son's patio.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does not having used your gasser have to do with the performer not being something you need?

Lew - Yeah, I've shoehorned and have bought smaller packers that fit.
I have 2 chimneys and get a real printed newspaper delivered to my house every day. Not sure I see the need for a gas starter. There are 2 sturdy tables on my deck and plenty of counter space in my kitchen - I have plenty of work space.
Troy - I have a 22 1/2" One Touch Silver, 26 3/4" One Touch Gold - both have hinged grates and side charcoal baskets, modded 18 1/2" WSM, and modded 22 1/2" WSM. I haven't used the gasser, a 64,000 btu Commercial Series CharBroil, it will soon be on my step-son's patio and one of my nieces will be taking the 26 3/4" CharBroil Magnum.
I'm comitted to Weber and if they ever make a digital electric, I'll get rid of my MasterBuilt, and buy the Weber for my cold smoking needs. Can't think of anything else I need or want.

I've got 5 kids, and mostly grill indirect. The 22.5 is mostly adequete, but a 26.75 would let me put veggies on at the same time.

Sure enough is enough! But the 22" isent it. I wanna own a 26" Performer.(never owned one..Performer that is.)

And With stock Cast iron grates,It should be a white kettle,and it should come with a Lampe to grill everything.(and clean up ofc)
icon_wink.gif

WoW thats it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back