The Century!

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Friday, I have a drop off scheduled for 50 lbs pulled pork which means with a 50% yield I need 100 lbs green weight.

I picked up a 70 lb case at RD and had to throw two more 15 lb, 2 packs on top to get me to 100. Here's the dozen waiting for their destiny in the morning.
IMG_4571.JPG

100 sounds like a good number. How do you pull it all? Claws, gloves, forks, cleavers? And how cool do you let it get to pull it? I would love to see all that when it's done, and smell it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernie D:
100 sounds like a good number. How do you pull it all? Claws, gloves, forks, cleavers? And how cool do you let it get to pull it? I would love to see all that when it's done, and smell it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great question. Even with bear claws that will be quite a workout for your shoulders.

I likey. Might as well throw an extra one or two on for good luck
icon_smile.gif

That's gotta be some 4th of J pRt

That would be a great cook to even just be there to watch
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I would even come help pull it if I could eat bark as I pulled
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if I could eat bark as I pulled
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If, lol. Just do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Good lord, what's the occasion? More importantly, how are you smoking it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its a drop off for a graduation party.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 100 sounds like a good number. How do you pull it all? Claws, gloves, forks, cleavers? And how cool do you let it get to pull it? I would love to see all that when it's done, and smell it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its a bit over, probably closer to 102.

I pull in a 2 stage process. I break the butt down into its individual muscles, and scrape away the remaining connective tissue and fat and toss it into a tub. Once that part is done, these little guys will be cool enought to shred and moved to the next tub which will be on ice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I likey. Might as well throw an extra one or two on for good luck Smiler
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, no room at the inn
icon_frown.gif

I got the smokers fired at 5:30 am and the butts got on around 6:00.

here the firing line:
IMG_4573.JPG

on the smokers:
IMG_4574.JPG

should have named him weber:
IMG_4577.JPG

HAMONSTER - Part 2...Attack of the Shoulders

No small projects for j! Am anxious to see if you have a wide-angle version of your photo set-up.

Very nice.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HAMONSTER - Part 2...Attack of the Shoulders

No small projects for j! Am anxious to see if you have a wide-angle version of your photo set-up.

Very nice.

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man Ron, I'm guessing you don't forget too many birthdays either.
icon_wink.gif
Or is it just feats of bbq that stick in your head?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm blown away...Very impressive!!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I can operate one wsm, how hard is three at once? it sure isn't juggling
icon_biggrin.gif

I suppose I should give some details. I have 6 upright chicken racks that I thought would be nice so I could stand the butts up and keep them from touching. So far they are working well. Each butt was placed in fat cap facing out towards the rising heat and bone side down. I just did a 12 butt shuffle, switching racks and orientation (bone up now).

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

Im all out of words.
icon_eek.gif

*a few min later*

Yeeehaa cowboy thats ALOT of meat i could swim in a bathtub with all those pulled.

Must take a pic of that pulled(call me if you hoked on the bathtub idea)
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Lock'em up Jeff, I'm on my way to Buffalo!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jim,Pick me up on the way.
icon_smile.gif

The two wsm's with the 8 smaller butts were starting to drop in temp at the 8 hr mark. The two probed butts were locked in a solid plateau (166*) so I foiled the 8 and knocked down the ash.

Foiling went amazingly fast. I had 8 sheets of 18" HD foil laid out and it was a matter of plunking a butt down, rolling, crimping and setting aside. They had shrunk enough that the chicken rack could be left out when I returned them to the smoker.

The key is having $1.99 jersey glove liners under my disposable, vinyl gloves. I had no heat issues even with handling the metal grate. I think I'm going to pull it all this way.

super fun picture of foiled butts:
IMG_4580.JPG

Big guys are lagging:
IMG_4583.JPG

IMG_4584.JPG

It took my wife and I just under two hours to get it all pulled and packed. We ended up with 6 bags that each weighed 8 lbs, I was about a pound shy of my target.

IMG_4590.JPG

and as you can imagine, 12 butts means 12 bones. I got to find something cool to do with all these:

IMG_4588.JPG

start to finish the whole operation was complete in 13 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Lock'em up Jeff, I'm on my way to Buffalo!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jim,Pick me up on the way.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Too Late!! I'm already there!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back