The Best Beef Cuts for the WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
In our part of the country, BarBQ has traditionally meant pork. Therefore most of my experience has been in pork butts, ribs, etc. I am interested in trying several different cuts of Beef on my WSM, but aren't certain if some cuts are appropriate or not. As best I can tell from the Forum here, it has much to do with fat content. Would anyone who has had experience with smoking beef comment on whether this is a complete list of items that will work well on my WSM? Thanks in advance, and any comments would of helpful.

Top Round Roast, Rump Roast, Chuck Eye Roast, Brisket, Tenderloin, Rib Roast, Ribs, Eye of Round.

Anything anyone would add or delete?

BRISKET comes out awesome after a good slow-cooking. They take a long time and have the potential for getting dry, but when done right they're just great. Just be careful and cut perpendicular to the grain when serving (another trick I learned the hard way). It makes the meat way juicier and easy to chew.
As for the roasts, I've done a few but can't remember what types. Usually the cheaper roasts will have more fat, and will be less likely to dry out on a long cook. Good luck!

Whole Sirloin cooks up awesome on the WSM. 125 internal and hold for a couple hours, yum. In my part of the world I get a better yield per dollar from whole Sirloins than Brisket.

Jerod... wwwwwaaaaaiiiiitttttt one minute befor you say brisket. YOU MUST QUALIFY THIS STATEMENT BY ADDING DO NOT GO PLAY GOLF WHILE THE (FIRST BRISKET YOU HAVE COOKED IN YOU LIFE) WSM IS COOKING THE BRISKET. AND, (YES I AM CYBER SCREAMING) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE DOOR SECURLY ATTACHED! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My first attempt at a beef product is this weekend, so I'm not much help. Sunday, I'm going to put on a 6lb rib roast using the Montreal Steak Rub recipe from this website. Hopefully, it will become my new favorite food. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

One cut of beef that is EXCELLENT for low long slow cooking is beef top blade roast. I love this cut! It's almost always on sale at the local store. Very reasonable, tasty, makes great barbecue, also great in a dutch oven for a pot roast. No trimming involved, just throw the thing in the weber and let it go.

It's also called triangle roast. It's often cut into steaks called culotte steaks. It comes from the bottom sirloin.

Regards,
Chris

Could be a late post for the topic - I cooked a top blade roast monster yesterday (15lbs). Minion method, 14.5 hours until I got too tired to stay up (got to work). My bullet stayed at 250 dome temp on 16 lbs. of Kingsford the whole cook. 14.5 hours was a bit short, as some of the meat was not shreddable, so I sliced it. Great price $1.79/lb, fair yield, (I vac-packed approx. 7.5 lbs, and it tases great on a bun with horseradish.

Still have a beef clod (22lbs) in the freezer - I love smoked beef.

A quick follow up. I'm not sure if a a top blade roast is the same cut as a beef shouler or part of the beef shoulder. I have tried beef shoulder cuts on the WSM and really like them.

Brian

As I understand it, london broil is from the flank of the animal, is best marinated, grilled at high temps, sliced thinly across the grain and served hot for best results.

Brisket is a fattier cut from the front of the animal, contains much connective tissue, as is best BBQ'ed "low and slow" so as to melt the fat and connective tissue. Liced thinly across the grain, brisket is good anytime, hot or cold.

just my $0.02 worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back