The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
JSMcdowell: Man...I just don't know if I can get behind cans. I don't care for the metallic taste they sometimes impart. My beer doesn't last long enough for the light of day to impact it's taste anyway. LOL The stuff that I cellar, that needs to be devoid of light, is squirreled away in the equivalent of a black hole, so I'll go with bottles for now…...

I think the metallic taste that some people experience is from drinking out of the can. What is a keg made out of ?
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
I think the metallic taste that some people experience is from drinking out of the can. What is a keg made out of ?
icon_smile.gif

Well, does pouring a beer from a can to the glass suddenly alleviate the metallic taste? I see what you're saying about a keg...but beer from the keg and from the can, hardly seem to taste similar.

What I mean by pouring it out of the can is that my drinking out of the can, your mouth would be touching the metal, possibly creating the metallic taste.

Although draft beer and canned beer do taste different, you would think that aluminium would put off the metallic taste in both cans and kegs.

And both kegs and cans provide an air tight seal, where as a bottle cap does not. Like you said, most beers aren't around me long enough for air or light to matter!

There are a few great breweries out there that are pushing cans, and I would hate for people to miss out on them because they think cans are inferior.

Avery just started producing cans.

I have yet to have a bad beer out of 21st amendment. Their watermelon really surprised me, although I couldn't drink more than a couple.

Butternuts is another good can beer brewery.

Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GuyC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GuyC:
Russian River Pliny The Elder. I brew it, I drink it, I love it.
icon_smile.gif

Guy, do brew your own clone or the kit from B3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm one of the brewers at Russian River. I brew Pliny and most of the other RR beers at the pub and also at the production brewery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa. We have a Russian River brewer in the house? Fabulous. That's awesome. Brews great beer and grills. My man. You guys make fabulous beer. It's so incredibly difficult to get around here. Demand is through the roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding, there's a fervor for Pliny (both elder and younger) in Denver whenever you guys ship it out here. Usually sells out in less than 24 hours
icon_mad.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, we're maxed out capacity wise and demand continues to exceed supply. Younger is extremely limited and tough to get just about anywhere outside of the pub.

Originally posted by Brad W:
You are now my new best friend
icon_smile.gif
. Had one Pliny that a friend sent me. Not asking for any details but is the B3 kit at least in the ballpark recipe wise? May be the only way I'll get to drink something close to Pliny.
I'm not really sure what the B3 kit recipe looks like these days. If you send me a pm with it, I'll check it out and try to give you some tips.

Thanks JS. I do recall seeing Terrapin, because it made me think of turtles, which made me think do I really want to drink that? The Mischief I may have seen also, because of the name assiciation with some mischief that one can get into.
icon_smile.gif
I am not so big on a really high alcohol content as I am more so on a lighter colored beer as opposed to a darker heavier in color beer. The darker beers are too filling. I would rather drink 2 beers with a meal or relaxing and have my wits about me, than 1 beer and have to go to sleep. Thanks for your input.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
JSMcdowell: Man...I just don't know if I can get behind cans. I don't care for the metallic taste they sometimes impart. My beer doesn't last long enough for the light of day to impact it's taste anyway. LOL The stuff that I cellar, that needs to be devoid of light, is squirreled away in the equivalent of a black hole, so I'll go with bottles for now…...

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kegs are stainless, cans are mostly Al. However, I recently attended an annual MBAA technical seminar at Sierra Nevada brewery where they had a very detailed presentation on the entire can-making process. Cans have come a very long way. They have a protective liner made from a complex, food-grade chemical coating on the inside that keeps the beer from ever touching the metal. Technically speaking, there really shouldn't be an issue with metallic off-flavors and beer in cans. It's more the perception of the general public that has come to expect that due to older technologies that may have had issues with that....sort of like wine without natural corks or wine-in-a-box. It takes a while to overcome the public's perception that the quality of the product is being affected negatively due to a change of the status quo. Don't fear the can!
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by GuyC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kegs are stainless, cans are mostly Al. However, I recently attended an annual MBAA technical seminar at Sierra Nevada brewery where they had a very detailed presentation on the entire can-making process. Cans have come a very long way. They have a protective liner made from a complex, food-grade chemical coating on the inside that keeps the beer from ever touching the metal. Technically speaking, there really shouldn't be an issue with metallic off-flavors and beer in cans. It's more the perception of the general public that has come to expect that due to older technologies that may have had issues with that....sort of like wine without natural corks or wine-in-a-box. It takes a while to overcome the public's perception that the quality of the product is being affected negatively due to a change of the status quo. Don't fear the can!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's actually very reassuring. Thank you for the explanation. I do think a lot of people's perceptions have indeed been forged over the past couple of decades, and there's definitely a reluctance to change. By the way, was at a local distributor and picked up some ****ation, Consecration, and Supplication. I wanted some for myself, and some more for the purpose of bartering...largely on Beer Advocate. LOL At any rate...holy jesus was it expensive. LOL I'd never seen beer at that price level before. Looking forward to sampling some, and aging some.

I also picked up a cases of Firestone Walker Union Jack, Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout, and Founder's Dirty Bastard.

Overall, today was a blatant case of over indulgence if I've ever lived one. LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
You are now my new best friend
icon_smile.gif
. Had one Pliny that a friend sent me. Not asking for any details but is the B3 kit at least in the ballpark recipe wise? May be the only way I'll get to drink something close to Pliny.
I'm not really sure what the B3 kit recipe looks like these days. If you send me a pm with it, I'll check it out and try to give you some tips. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will once I figure out how to PM. I don't have the B3 recipe as I have not ordered the kit yet but I do have the recipe that supposedly Vinnie gave out at the NHBC in Vegas a few years back. I was going to compare it to the B3 kit.

1- I agree that it would be nice to have a sub-forum for beer, maybe as a sub of the "Other Discussion" area.

2- Oskar Blues seems to be doing quite well with the can-only approach. I just wish Dale's or Old Chub was priced more in keeping with other canned beers in my area.

3- Glad to see some love for Troegs. The brewery is right across the river from here, and I can almost see if from my back yard.

Last night was a good evening for beer consumption. Split a growler of Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA with my friend Sean, then enjoyed a couple Union Jack IPA's by Firestone Walker, and a Dirty Bastard by Founders.
icon_smile.gif

Beers I'm drinking now...

Terrapin - Hopsecutioner
Mission St. - IPA
Sam Adams - Summer Ale
Sam Adams - Latitude 48 (including the limited edition sampler pack that includes beers made with all the hops that make up Latitude 48)
Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale

I'm pretty much a Sam Adams guy. My seasonal favorites are the Octoberfest and the Winter Lager.

There's something about kicking back with an Octoberfest watching college football....especially when Penn St. is playing.
icon_biggrin.gif

For those in the SoCal area The Brew Ha Ha beer festival is coming up on 9/10. Proceeds go to the Fallen Firefighters Relief Fund.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
That's actually very reassuring. Thank you for the explanation. I do think a lot of people's perceptions have indeed been forged over the past couple of decades, and there's definitely a reluctance to change. By the way, was at a local distributor and picked up some ****ation, Consecration, and Supplication. I wanted some for myself, and some more for the purpose of bartering...largely on Beer Advocate. LOL At any rate...holy jesus was it expensive. LOL I'd never seen beer at that price level before. Looking forward to sampling some, and aging some.

I also picked up a cases of Firestone Walker Union Jack, Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout, and Founder's Dirty Bastard.

Overall, today was a blatant case of over indulgence if I've ever lived one. LOL
Thanks for your support! The sours aren't inexpensive locally either, but I suppose there's probably even more of a mark-up in Philly. The barrel-aging process is very labor-intensive and time-consuming. Most of the sours spend about a year in barrels. I doubt you'd even find our beers in your market if it weren't for Tom Peters and Monk's. By the beers you've been mentioning, I can see you really enjoy some fine craft beers!
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Brad W:
I will once I figure out how to PM. I don't have the B3 recipe as I have not ordered the kit yet but I do have the recipe that supposedly Vinnie gave out at the NHBC in Vegas a few years back. I was going to compare it to the B3 kit.
That NHC recipe will get you in the ballpark and produce a fine DIPA. I could give you a few more hints. I thought there was private messaging on this site.

Thanks for your support! The sours aren't inexpensive locally either, but I suppose there's probably even more of a mark-up in Philly. The barrel-aging process is very labor-intensive and time-consuming. Most of the sours spend about a year in barrels. I doubt you'd even find our beers in your market if it weren't for Tom Peters and Monk's. By the beers you've been mentioning, I can see you really enjoy some fine craft beers!
icon_smile.gif

You're quite welcome. Monk's is an awesome place. I don't get down there NEARLY often enough, but that's mostly because I live in the burbs, and driving into the city to drink, isn't usually the best thing to do. LOL Fortunately for me, Capone's is a fraction of the distance (2 mi.) away. Matt's an awesome guy who loves talking beer, has a top notch bottle shop, and always takes care of me.
icon_smile.gif
I love going there to try things I've never had. I can get single bombers or other bottle sizes, as well as six and four packs of stuff I've never had before. If I like it, then I can go to Kunda Beverage in King of Prussia if I want to step up to buying a case of something. Chris Kunda is another knowledgeable and passionate beer guy who knows how to take care of people. I do enjoy my craft brews. It wasn't always that way. I never used to like beer at all. But, I'm fortunate to live in one of the country's craft brew hot beds, and I've had good exposure. I'm very grateful for all the fine beer I've had the opportunity to enjoy past and present.

I miss Monks. I've been away from Philly for a few years and haven't found a place like it. Fergie was a neat guy too.

What about Lagunitas. I have been drinking the stuff like water lately.

Left hand and terrapin do a brew together each year and they brewed it this week. So they were both at my local shop today. Picked up a Growler from each.

From left hand their polestar pilsner. I could drink a lot of this. Light and very flavor.

2011-07-20214611.jpg

Got up this morning at 3 A.M. to prep a brisket and a pork butt. Got'em both on the grill at 4 A.M. Should be done about the same time this afternoon I'm guessing. Having a handful of buddies over this evening for a beer tasting/drinking and BBQ. Everyone's bringing a couple things. Going to be one helluva "tasting" this evening.

Among the beers in the lineup:

Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
Founders Dirty Bastard
Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
Manyunk Brewery Knucklebuster
Port Brewing Mongo IPA
Firestone Walker Double Jack Double IPA
Dogfish Head Namaste
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger
Oskar Blues G'Knight

and finishing off with

Firestone Walker Abacus
Firestone Walker Parabola
Southern Tier Creme Brule

That oughta be enough to beat back the 105F degree heat expected today, with heat indices nearing 120F.

Back