Texas Crutch now, who actuality doesn't use it? lol

I foil ribs, unless I get busy and forget!

Never have foiled butts or brisket.

Have foiled salmon before, but usually just on the bottom.

Just to clear up any confusion... the smoke flavour doesn't stop until you pull it off the Q. Smoke flavour is a product of AD-sorption... meaning the particules adhere to the surface of the meat.

The chemical process that produces "smoke ring" is said to stop at around 140F, but that isn't any indication of flavour.

As for foil... to each their own. My wife likes soft ribs, so I foil hers. If I'm doing a High Heat brisket, it's the only way to go. Saying you wouldn't use it because "it's not real BBQ" is like saying you only use your hands to remove hot meat because tongs are cheating!! haha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Saying you wouldn't use it because "it's not real BBQ" is like saying you only use your hands to remove hot meat because tongs are cheating!! haha </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is it cheating if the tongs are made out of aluminum foil???

around 140* the proteins responsible for developing the ring denature, which is why it stops forming then.

One challenge to cooking on the wsm is the range of heat from edge to center. Unless your just doing a single butt, the meat is going to be subject to higher temps at the edges. A foil stage can even out the cooking and make sure the center is tender at the same time as the edges.

Back