Terrific Turkey

David Crawford

TVWBB Member
I brined a turkey for 24 hours then smoked it today with the help of the Heater Meter. The results were outstanding, really juicy and just a subtle smoked flavor. I think this is going to be my yearly tradition. I also like the fact that it frees up the oven for all the other side dishes that go along with the meal.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add on to this -- I did the same. Because I'm insane though, I brined, butterflied and crammed TWO turkeys into my Weber OTG.

The HM kept it at a steady 350 for most of the cook. This is the first time I've used it for anything higher than smoking temps.

P4daDQHl.jpg

Just wanted to add on to this -- I did the same. Because I'm insane though, I brined, butterflied and crammed TWO turkeys into my Weber OTG.

The HM kept it at a steady 350 for most of the cook. This is the first time I've used it for anything higher than smoking temps.

P4daDQHl.jpg

Looks good! I have never thought of butterflying a turkey. I used a brine recipe I saw on the HEB website. An interesting part of the recipe was to soak hickory chips in bourbon before adding them to the fire. I also did something with the bourbon that I saw on Food Network. I soaked pecans in bourbon for 2 or 3 hours before making a pecan pie with them...I really liked the results.

Back