temps

kizer

I HAVE HAD SOME GOOD TURNOUTS WITH RIBS ON THE SMOKER BUT NOT WITH PORK BUTTS. I CAN'T SEEM TO GET THEM TO PEAKOUT @ 175-190 AND THEY HAVE BEEN ABOUT 3 1/2LB AND HAVE SMOKED THEM FOR 6-8 HOURS. I ALWAYS HAVE TO FINISH THEM IN THE OVEN. I THINK THIS IS BECAUSE OF TEMPS. I CAN NEVER GET MY TEMPS TO HIT 250 THEY ALWAYS STAY @ 220 LID TEMP ON AVERAGE. I HAVE TRIED MINION METHOD AND OTHERS BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK. I LIVE IN A DRY CLIMATE @ ABOUT 6800FT COULD THIS HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

Hope someone from a higher elevation can help, I'm at sea level. Might add what kind of fuel your using as a starting point for them.

I'M USING KINSFORD CHARCOAL WITH A CHIMNEY AND USUALLY PUTTING SOME HICKORY CHUNKS AND SOME APPLEWOOD BRANCHES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COAL.

Others at high altitudes have reported difficulty getting the cooker temps up. I would suggest you try these tips:

1) Try one of the waterless methods--clay saucer, sand, piedmont pan or just foiled dry pan.

2) Find a way to get more air into the chamber. Try putting your access door upside down and prop it open a half inch or so, or just bend it flat more than necessary so there are good gaps on both sides when it is attached. (Or you could offer to trade your tight fitting middle section with somebody who has one that is slightly out of round, but not so bad it doesn't fit together.)

Kizer,
I am in Denver I usually take the access door off then slide the locking part under the top lip, that way you can slide the door open or closed fairly easily. It will take a little longer to get to temp but it will get there, use a few more lit coals on minion startup. Good will also take longer to cook, butts for me are anyway between 20 and 24 hours.

Kevin.D

Kizer,
I too live in Denver and when I have done butts it took just around 24 hrs. So be patient when your smoking those bad boys is the best advice I can give.

I'm here on the same page as you Kizer, and evedently others in Denver and high altitudes. Last weekend I tried using two chimneys to get me started and up to temp sooner, but without success. 225 was as high as I could get for about the 1st 9 hrs, with a lot of work nursing the fire. Then it seemed as if it jumped up to 250 were I maintained for 3 more hrs, until I burned all my bag of kingsford. Had to finish my #8 butt in the oven. I believe I'll try David's suggestion on propping the door open a bit this weekend on some country style ribs cooked at 9,000 ft to see what happens.

Back