Temperature

Mike Taylor

TVWBB Member
Just put on some ribs and decided to check the temp thru the top vent using two different probes. Both read 250 while the Weber thermometer reads 220. What should I believe? Will the ribs be ok at this temp. I'm using the Minion Method and the temp is holding steady.

Hi mike,
you should calibrate your probes to be sure of their accuracy. But the temp gauge on the lid of the WSM is often inaccurate. Either way 220 or 250 will be fine. Good luck

The Weber thermo is considered by many owners as nothing more than a hood ornament - not reliable. If you are worried about temp, use a good probe thermometer either at the grate or in the lid vents.

Thanks for the replies. The probe is hanging in there at 250. By the way I did the boiling water test on the lid thermometer before I cooked and it was pretty close.

Not to sound too simplistic but the Weber therm reads differently than the probe through the vent because they're in different locations. I use the Maverick probe through the vent because it measures the temp in the draft stream.

Whatever you decide to do, pick one place and go with it. Temping more than one spot will drive you nuts. At least it did for me when I was a newbie.

My advice is to use the vent temp and forget what the Weber therm says for the reasons I posted above.

I have an older WSM and I added the dome thermometer. I did a few cooks with thermometers on every grate and through the vent and compared them to the dome thermometer. Now it's all I use. Accurate or not, I can now look at it and know what the grate and vent temps are.

Compare the Weber thermometer to other thermometers. If it's consistent, adjust and go with it.

"Not to sound too simplistic but the Weber therm reads differently than the probe through the vent because they're in different locations"

This!

Lern to cook @ one reading and that is it! I always go by grate temps..but thats just me.

My $$$$ Primo is just the same. Not the thermo that is broke...Its located in a different spot.

A long time ago a very wise old man (Ben Franklin) said, "a man that has one clock knows what time it is and a man that has two is never really sure"

Back