Temperature creep.

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Anyone else ever have this problem? When it does happen, it's toward the end the end of the cook. It will hold at 250 (lid) for 8 hours or so, then it slowly starts to creep up to around 280-290, or higher. Even with all vents closed. Any idea what could cause this, and what are some fixes. I use the minion method, full ring of Kingsford regular, and 13-15 lit coals.

Yep, sure do Bill. No idea why, I just live with it. To make matters more interesting, I experience the same thing even when using the GURU!

I can set the GURU at 250 degrees for an overnight cook. At first when the GURU is "happy" the lid therm will read 225. By the end of the cook (GURU still at 250) the lid therm will read around 280.

Go figure!

JimT

If you put the lit coals in the middle of the ring to start, as they burn up and move outward, you get a greater surface area that is on fire. This could be cause of the creep.

Also you did not state if you keep your water pan full of water or not (or if you use water). As the cook progresses, the less volume of water in the pan, the less energy is used to boil it, and more energy available to raise the temp in the cooker.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

I'm just wondering if it's because the meat you are cooking has come up to temp so overall, the temp is higher because the meat has no longer become a heat sinc? Just threw this out there for discussion......
Cheers
Davo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davo:
I'm just wondering if it's because the meat you are cooking has come up to temp so overall, the temp is higher because the meat has no longer become a heat sinc? Just threw this out there for discussion......
Cheers
Davo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a simplified, generalized scenario, the initial heat energy goes toward increasing the temperature of the meat. This can lead to a relatively rapid increase in internal temperature. Once the meat reaches about 140 degrees F., the heat energy begins going toward modifying chemical bonds rather than simply increasing the internal temperature of the meat. Somewhere, usually beginning around 160 degrees F., a pork butt or beef brisket will experience one or more temperature stalls or plateaus--where the meat seems to take forever to increase in internal temperature. These temperature plateaus occur because the heat energy is primarily going toward causing chemical changes in the meat rather than simply increasing the internal temperature of the meat.

Ideally, one adds heat energy until these meats reach tenderness. This tender point is best determined by physically probing the meat to feel for tenderness. Because every piece of meat varies in both physical and chemical makeup, tenderness will not necessarily occur at any specific temperature.

If one goes past this ideal tender state, heat energy goes toward causing further contraction of the muscle fibers and toward expressing the remaining water content as well as further loss of liquefied fats. By heating past tender, the meat has absorbed heat energy until it has become tough and dry rather than tender, moist and juicy.

So, a piece of meat will absorb heat energy up to, and well past, where it is ideally tender, moist and juicy.

###

I think I finally solved my problem. I just close all the vents earlier. (I only have two that work, one is stuck closed.) I used to wait until 220 until I closed them for a 250 lid temp. Now, the last two smokes I did, I closed them at 200 and cooked around 235-240. No creep. And I found it necessary to open a vent about halfway through the smoke to keep the temp up. That's a nice change of pace.

I think your base problem is that you have an air leak. The other cause is that if you're using water, you're letting it run low. I had the same problem when my WSM was new. Now that it has some gunk in it, it seals a better and holds temp rock solid.

The other thing that might be causing this is that toward the end of the cook, you may be lifting the lid to check the meat. The rush of fresh air when you lift the lid will stoke the fire.

I have found that in emergency spikes, I can close the top vent, and that *always* drops the temp quickly. You just have to watch that it doesn't go down to far too quickly.

Cheers,
Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Because every piece of meat varies in both physical and chemical makeup, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't let Kevin read that.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I think your base problem is that you have an air leak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do any of the not stuck vents spin easily? everyone tried to convince me that one of my wsm's had an "out-of-round" problem. eventually I figured out that the vent was sucking air, even when fully closed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have found that in emergency spikes, I can close the top vent, and that *always* drops the temp quickly. You just have to watch that it doesn't go down to far too quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see no problems with backing down the top vent once the fire is established and burning clean. I use this technique as the only way to control my wsm with the leaky vent, and never had a problem with creosote condensation or bitter meat as a result. I figure if its sucking enough air to keep going, then the fires fine.

Back