Temp too low,why?

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
Yesterday, I smoked salmon and eggplant. I had one full chiney fully lit. I also had about 20 unlit briquettes on the charcoal grate. The temp was at 209, all vents open, water pan half full, eggplant taking up entire bottom rack. The temp would not go over 209-212. I lit about 10 more briquettes and added same. Temp still at 209-212. Added 2 cold salmon fillets. Temp still around 209. Then lit 10 more briquettes along with smoke wood and added same. The bottom line, temp never went above 220. Vents fully open entire time. Ambient temp about 42 degrees. Any ideas why temp never exceeded 220.

Did you add hot or cold water to the pan?
-Cold water will increase the time it takes to reach temp.

Was there any wind?
-Wind blowing in the right direction can literally suck the heat right out.

Was the charcoal fresh or sitting around for a while?
-I've found open bags of charcoal that haven't been used for a while tend to soak up ambient moisture resulting in a less aggressive burn.

You may just have needed additional charcoal to increase the temp. With the ambient temps around 42 degrees I'd have done two lit chimneys for a shorter cook.

You can also remove the access door to help get the coals going and the temps up. Just be careful doing this as the temps can climb rather quickly.

No way to know for sure, but I had a similar problem today. I needed my temp as high as it could go or about 350-375. I had plenty of charcoal, but I needed more airflow. I suspect two things in your case - either your thermometer is reading incorrectly or just not enough air. Next time, try opening the door for a couple of minutes and see if the temp goes up. It did for me.

Yes it was windy but I cooking at the opening of my garage and yes the charcoal was sitting around since this past summer. The thermo is accurate having recently tested it. I'll see how my next cook goes and hopefully I will be able to troubleshoot it at that time, if these two factors are eliminated. I have cooked in colder and damper weather, so I thik I can eliminate the ambient temp. I was certainly surprised that I could not elevate the temp. Mike

Mike,

I would bet there was not enough air flow to get it going. You said the bottom rack was covered with the egg plant. If too much of the bottom rack is covered then not enough air flows through the WSM through the top which circulates the air to the coals.

My guess is if less of the bottom rack was covered you would have achieved higher temps. Old charcoal can collect moisture but if you were able to start it, it would have little effect on temperature because it either burns or it doesn't kind of like water is boiling or it's not.

If you're going to stuff the racks I would suggest using all lit coals lightly ashed.

Johnny,

I am betting your right because the bottom rack was completely covered and I had to place some of the eggplants in a second layer on the bottom rack. This lack of air flow (coupled to a lesser extent with the other two factors mentioned above) seems to be the major contributing factor. That's a good call. Thanks.

No problem, we all learn by our mistakes. Hopefully we don't make them over and over. It's surprising how much heat a stuffed WSM will absorb especially if there's not enough air flow.

Smoke on my friend!

Back