Temp. to foil Brisket

Thom Emery

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey Guys
I have tried Foiling a Brisket based on a clock and pounds and had a nice pot roast.
Without foil I have had some good eats
But with foil at the right temp I know there is
some great eats.
What temp do reach before you foil??

Hi Thom. I foiled my first brisket this weekend at about 167, then cooked to about 197 (discussed here). It wasn't pot roast, it was BBQ.
(nice avatar btw, where'd you get that?)

Brisket pot roast comes from cooking it too long or leaving it in foil too long. You can get brisket pot roast without foiling it on the smoker. If it has a nice thick fat cap i'll foil at 170. If it has a very thin to almost no fat cap i'll foil at 160. I usually pull it off at 185-188 and let it rest. Remember the temperature will continue to rise a bit after pulling it off the smoker usually about 5-7 degrees.
icon_smile.gif

If you want to insure not getting a pot roast texture don't foil until the brisket hits 185 to 190 internal. At that point it goes into a dry cooler for a long rest.
If your doing a flat 3 hours is in smoke at 275 to 325 pit temp then in foil til brisket hit 185 to 190 then again into a dry cooler for rest.

Jim

I do as Jim mentioned. I cook them to about 185 or so and pull them and foil them and let them rest for at least 2 hours, but usually more than 3. Me texture turns out much better than when I foil them in the 160s and continue to cook until they reach 190 or so. I tend to get the pot roast effect if I foil too soon like mentioned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve G.:
I do as Jim mentioned. I cook them to about 185 or so and pull them and foil them and let them rest for at least 2 hours, but usually more than 3. Me texture turns out much better than when I foil them in the 160s and continue to cook until they reach 190 or so. I tend to get the pot roast effect if I foil too soon like mentioned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No pot roast here. As mentioned.
icon_wink.gif

brisket2rub001.jpg

Bryan, I am sorry. I think you read my post in a way that I did not mean for it to be. I was not implying that what you do will cause it turn out like pot roast. I was just saying that when I foil it in the 160s and continue to cook it until it reaches the lower 190s, MY results have not been what I like. When I say "as mentioned" I was refering to my own comment, not yours. Obviously everyone has their own techniques to cooking brisket. All I was saying is that my results have been better by my taste doing it the way I wrote vs when I foiled earlier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve G.:
Bryan, I am sorry. I think you read my post in a way that I did not mean for it to be. I was not implying that what you do will cause it turn out like pot roast. I was just saying that when I foil it in the 160s and continue to cook it until it reaches the lower 190s, MY results have not been what I like. When I say "as mentioned" I was refering to my own comment, not yours. Obviously everyone has their own techniques to cooking brisket. All I was saying is that my results have been better by my taste doing it the way I wrote vs when I foiled earlier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No need to be sorry for me miss understanding your post. If your getting fall apart brisket then foil later and pull sooner. I do not foil every brisket. When i take it out of the cryovac i look it over real good and determine if i'll foil it or not. Look at the fat cap and look at the ends to see the fat content in the meat just not by the top and bottom. If you can see some good marbling in the meat and you have a nice fat cap then no need to foil. Now if your cap is thin and your not seeing any marbling through the meat that's when the foil comes into play. If doing a packer no need to foil either unless it has been trimmed real hard. HTH
icon_smile.gif

That may be it Bryan. All the briskets I smoke are packers. They usually are quite thick on the fat cap and throughout. I have a whole freezer of them right now and all this talk has me craving it. I think I may cook me one of thems this weekend.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Steve, I also live in Sugar Land and was curious as to where you usually purchase your brisket. You do mention that you have a freezer full.

Hey Jerry. Wow a fellow SL guy! What part of SL do you live? We are right off HWY6 and Williams Trace.

I watch the adds and buy them where ever they are on sale. During Memorial Day and 4th of July, all the stores had them cheap so I bought a whole bunch. Usually HEB has the best price, but Randall's has them pretty often too. I don't ever pay more than $1/lb. The sales start on Wednesday i think and that is the best day to get them from my experience. If you wait a few days, they are picked over pretty much. the last two I cooked were small and very thin on the end of the flat. But they turned out to be some of the best I have cooked yet. Go figure. Anyway, I know they will put them on sale next week for Labor Day. I plan to get me several more to last the winter (when the prices are over $2.50/lb).

Steve, We're only two miles away, Sweetwater and Alcorn Bayou (Oaks of Alcorn).

I do most of my meat shopping at the Sam's on Hwy. 6. Their steaks are much better than the grocery store varietys. You are correct in that on Labor Day weekend I would expect to see brisket at $.99/lbs.

You ever use the TX BBQ Rub? His office is in this area as well. Great way to save on postage.

Jerry

After cooking a brisket this week with the oven finished recipie, I think I have made the decision, I would rather have a tougher tasty brisket than a falling apart pot roast. I ended up with the falling apart pot roast.

Mark
You can get a good texture cooking with foil but the chances of lossing it to pot roast texture is much easier. By leaving out of foil, taking it to 185 to 190º internal then putting it in foil and into a dry cooler will almost always assure you that the brisket will not be pot roast in texture.

It's having the brisket in foil and putting heat to it either in the cooker or your oven that you run the chance of lossing it to the pot roast side.
Jim

Jerry,

I do use TX BBQ rub on just about everything I smoke. I think it is the best tasting rub on the market. I have spent a fair amount of time visiting with Bill Cannon in his office while reloading my supply. Some buddies and I got a chance to go out to his booth at the Rodeo cookoff this past February and were able to sample his spare ribs....incredible. I have three year old triplets that love BBQ, but they find Bill's recipe a little too spicy...so I trim the bark off and save it for myself
icon_wink.gif

Wow, you are close by. I teach at Colony Meadows just down the road from you.

Steve,

Maybe you've seen the smoke from my WSM on your way to school!

Bill is a good guy. Ran in to him at Home Depot last weekend and was able to get some good tips from him.

Could you post your email in a reply so I can contact you off line. That way we can stay in touch on local sales, ect.

Thanks, Jerry

Back