Temp question?

Jason A

So I'm smoking a brisket for the first time today and decided to place one of my weber remote probes through an onion on the cooking grate. I've got all of the bottom vents closed, but am still getting a reading of 269 degrees. The built in lid thermometer, which I typically go by, is reading around 225 or so. In reading temperature tips on the how-to, it states that it should be higher at the dome than the grate...which temp should I go by? I don't want to cook at too hot a temp and have it come out dry, but I also don't want it to take forever... I was hoping to achieve a cooking temp of 250...

The Weber built in therms have been known to read quite a bit cooler at the beginning of a smoke. The amount of cold meat plays into that. I only measure at the top vent and that usually is 12-15 deg higher than top grate.

Tim

Your doing great! I think that if your anywhere near 250 your fine. I would encourage you to not worry about being above that temperature either. I feel like cooking around 220-225 would be more likely to cause a dry out effect more then a higher temperature actually.

The key is to not over cook it and you won't be to dry.

Back