Taking the Fun out of Smoking...

Rusty Breaux

TVWBB Fan
An accountant at heart and always working to perfect the brisket, this is what happens after a brisket cook.

Thought id share my madness.
03.27.2017%20Screenshot_zpsmxpmp8vg.jpg

rb

If you're an accountant, Rusty, doing all this analysis probably adds to the fun! :) I did this for many years, but finally gave it up when my cooks became somewhat consistent. I still refer back to the old notes if I have some issues. ....and, for what it's worth, I concur with your notes! :)

R

My first small Comp I have a folder of printouts of old cooks, notes, Harry Soo's Pdf file, a couple random recipes, and a full timeline for the Current Cookoff. :)

#geek

rb

I commend you Rusty for the time, effort and detail invested in this cook, all your cooks apparently. I keep rough notes in a journal, but nothing on this level. Nice post.

That's pretty cool. I guess I am just too lazy. I tried keeping a journal for awhile but I mainly just cook on intuition and experience.

Thanks guys. I TRY to take these kind of notes on every cook, but i usually forget or only get a couple of hours in before i get busy. I think its easier with brisket since i start it in the WEE hours in the morning and have alot of time to myself before everyone is awake. Have coffee, watch the sun rise, start my 12hr day of perfecting a brisket.

rb

I have had so many people ask me "How did you do that?" on so many levels I should take notes, I'm just WAAAAAY to lazy to take notes!
I've taken the "If you want to know, come early and hang out." stand, easier to show than explain. At least for me.

You're absolutely correct, looking at those charts and all those small words reminds me of the graphs and stats i'm forced to deal with 6 to 2:30 everyday ...
more than enough to make my eyes hurt more and more.
rather have smoke in my eyes.

I never made charts, but when I was trying to learn how to BBQ I kept a very detailed log of each cook. Now cooking BBQ is pretty much just like cooking a casserole in the oven.

Iv got issues. Timing notes from yesterday. Choice brisket that cooked a little ODD compared to the usual Prime i buy. AND if you cant tell, it was pretty windy out there.

Screenshot_2017-04-10-09-04-32_zpsyz2gommw.png

rb

Back