TAILGATE WEEKEND WEEK 7

Chuck_B

TVWBB Wizard
Amazingly, it's week 7 of the NFL season. Giants are 4-2 which is nice and they play Dallas monday night who is 1-4. Beating them Monday would really crush their hopes and dreams! Plus anytime you get to see Jerry Jones POed on the side lines is fantastic!

Moving along...it's week 7 of Tailgate Weekend! Who's got cooking plans? Sadly I cannot cook this weekend. Entirely to much going on today and tomorrow will be a short day as I'll be headed to a NY Rangers game. So Slightly disapointing that I cannot cook but, leaves me plenty of time to think of next weekend!

So would love to hear what everyone is cooking and can't wait to see the pics!

Not sure it counts, but for SEC today is 1 rack of spares, 1 rack of loin backs and 6 thighs. Tomorrow NFL will be a practice turkey.

Hate you can't q with us!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Not sure it counts, but for SEC today is 1 rack of spares, 1 rack of loin backs and 6 thighs. Tomorrow NFL will be a practice turkey.

Hate you can't q with us! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it does! That's why it's Tailgate WEEKEND!

Does really suck...I might try to find time to squeeze in some steaks for lunch tomorrow
icon_biggrin.gif

I've got a lot to do as well so I'm going to tryout my new cold smoker. I figure I can just smolder a cured salmon filet in the WSM for 10-12 hours without paying attention and have some lox and bagels for dinner. Using the mixed hardwood dust to be sure it burns (hear the cherry went out for a few others)

Got about a 7 pound butt I put on around 6:30 this morning. Going to be nice eating some pulled pork and listening to my Chiefs going to 4-2 tomorrow.

img0548rr.jpg

img0552if.jpg

Chuck here in Texas we did an overnighter, on the menu was New York Yankees, How bout them Rangers Chuck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noe:
Chuck here in Texas we did an overnighter, on the menu was New York Yankees, How bout them Rangers Chuck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noe what can I say...you beat us! And it wasn't due to umps or anything weird...you beat us! Hats off to you. Beginning of the year I had posted in the Just Conversation board about baseball and someone (quite a few) people got all over me saying the Yankees buy championships blah blah blah. And all I said was, you still have to play the games and win the games. As you saw, money doesn't buy championships. It's buys you players but you still have to play and win. Hats off to the Rangers. I hope it's Rangers-Giants. I think that would be a sweet series!

So Noe, you cooking anything this weekend aside from the Yankees
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noe:
Chuck here in Texas we did an overnighter, on the menu was New York Yankees </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Best cook I've seen in a while, Noe. Great job!
icon_biggrin.gif

Off to Great Wolf Lodge today/tonight and then an open house tomorrow, so no cookin' for me this weekend.
icon_mad.gif
I'll be watching everyone else's though. Good luck, guys/gals!

Baby backs today for my wife and two guests. Steak and pork chop tomorrow.
Monday, weather permitting, a pork loin and/or chicken wings on the kettle.

Chuck I have noticed the last couple weeks someone failed to post the tailgate thread!Shame on you! LOL Just giving you a hard time. But just so you know I really missed seeing it up on the board. Its nice to see what everyone is cooking!

I will be making the Pepper Stout Beef recipe found in the beef section by Larry Wolfe. http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/s...?q=Pepper+Stout+Beef The recipe is one that I have been wanting to try so I will be firing up the wsm today in the rain. Just need to go to the store to get a foil pan and I think I have everything else for the cook.

Today I made a trip to super wally world to check out if they carried full packers and they did have some. The only thing that bothered me is they did not have a USDA rating on them. I assume that they are either select or choice. I found one that I really liked but sitting next to them were the chuck roasts.

I picked out one that had some nice marbling just around 3.5 lbs. I followed Larry's recipe and hope to have some nice sandwiches for dinner and some great leftovers for tomorrow. I just now tossed the Chucky on the wsm in between the rain drops with camera in hand! I'll post up some pic's later when I have time. Have to run to the store to get a foil pan to finish this recipe off! Talk to you all later. Vince

Driving to the Big Easy to watch the saints tomorrow.
Both daughters live there so this afternoon going to Octoberfest. German food & beer sounds great!

Da only War Chicken gettin cooked today is gonna be at Jordan Hare Stadium. Da Scam is goin down.

As for me, I've got a whole boneless ribeye rubbed down with Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic, kosher salt and lots of fresh ground black pepper. I'll be lightin up the 22WSM shortly.

Originally posted by Vince B:
Chuck I have noticed the last couple weeks someone failed to post the tailgate thread!Shame on you! LOL Just giving you a hard time. But just so you know I really missed seeing it up on the board. Its nice to see what everyone is cooking!
Hahahahaha yeah Vince BOO on me! I've been really busy with some stuff so I haven't been on the board much at all. Most of the time I was able to pop on I responded to maybe one post. I think only one day I actually responded to several!

Glad to see some good stuff is planned. Can't wait to see the pics. I actually took a couple sweet huge steaks out of the freezer. Grilling them for lunch tomorrow!

I have been wanting to try a recipe that I saw Larry Wolfe post a while back called Pepper Stout Beef. This recipe basically has you smoke or grill a 4 lb chuck roast for 3 hours or until the internal temp is 165*. Before placing the chuck roast on the smoker Larry has you use kosher salt and ground black pepper on roast and cook at 240-260*.

While the roast is on the smoker slice 2 green peppers, slice 1 red onion, 3 jalapenos sliced with seeds, 6 cloves of garlic minced, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, and 1 - 12oz bottle Guinness Extra Stout and place them in a foil pan large enough for your roast. After the roast reaches 165* place it on top of the ingredients. Then seal the top of the foil pan tight with a piece of foil. Cook at 350* for 2.5-3hrs until the roast is able to be pulled.

Once you have achieved this pull the roast and then continue to cook until the liquids have been reduced by about half. Then take and place on some rolls with cheese. These were awesome however were a little spicy for me. I only used two jalapenos and removed the seeds. Next time I will only use one and also remove the seeds. Here are the pic's from my cook.
pulledbeef002.jpg

pulledbeef009.jpg

For my cook I decided to use two chunks of cherry in my wsm with a mostly full ring of charcoal. I did minion 15 or so lit coals on top. Once the coals went on I assembled the smoker and put the chuck on. Installed my probes and closed the lid and did not open it until the meat read 160*. This took almost 3 hours with my wsm staying about 240*.

pulledbeef013.jpg

pulledbeef014.jpg

pulledbeef016.jpg

pulledbeef020.jpg

When my roast was close to 150* I prepared all my ingredients for the foiled pan that would be used for the second part of the cook. Make note of the sizes of the chopped ingredients. I think these were perfect sizes for when it was all said and done. I then added one beer per Larrys suggestion and then mixed the ingredients well. The best part about this is you only use one beer and have 5 left over for the pit master!

pulledbeef022.jpg

pulledbeef026.jpg

Once I felt the roast was ready for the next step I checked it in a few places to make sure I was close. Then I added it to the foil and sealed it up goodntight! Back on the wsm trying to achieve 350* however I seemed to get to about 330-340* for 3 hours. This was with all of my vents wide open.

pulledbeef028.jpg

pulledbeef031.jpg

pulledbeef034.jpg

At right around 6 hours total cook time I removed the top layer of foil from the pan and stuck chuck with a fork. He was definitely ready for the next step. At which point I busted out a couple of forks and shredded it up. Mixed well in the juices and broken down veggies. Placed back on the smoker uncovered for about another hour until most of the juices were gone.

pulledbeef039.jpg

pulledbeef040.jpg

pulledbeef043.jpg

After about an hour most of the liquid had cooked down and it was time to make up a sandwich.

pulledbeef047.jpg

pulledbeef048.jpg

pulledbeef052.jpg

I will say these were awesome and I will definitly be making them again. Thanks for looking! Vince

Well done, Vince. That PSB is good stuff!

I'll be doing wings for lunch and a beer can chicken with Weber's Kickin' Chicken rub for dinner. Was going to do the Dizzy Pig breaded wings but I just realized I'm out of Tsunami spin rub. Time to decide whether to make the 18 mile trek to Whole Foods or come up with plan B.

Bill it looks great from here but if its a little dry, you are right a little sauce will help
icon_smile.gif

Vince...holy *@#$ that looks awesome. I grow a ton of hot peppers so I'm sure it wouldn't have been to hot for me!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_B:
Vince...holy *@#$ that looks awesome. I grow a ton of hot peppers so I'm sure it wouldn't have been to hot for me!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure but I just had a sandwich a little bit ago and the heat from the peppers seemed to mellow a bit! Either way I'm still loving it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miguel M:
Vince, that looks incredible! I'm going to try this one for sure! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was great I promise you. A big thanks goes out to Larry Wolfe on this one! Vince

Back