TAILGATE SUNDAY WEEK 2

Chuck_B

TVWBB Wizard
Sunday is just around the corner. Sadly, I cannot participate this sunday
icon_mad.gif
One of my really good friends called me tuesday and let me know that his first babies christening is sunday afternoon and then dinner at a restaurant. So that's something I have to attend. That's ok it's only week two! I'm already planning my week three
icon_biggrin.gif

So is anyone going to be doing a tailgate this sunday!?

Chuck -

I too am having to skip the tailgate for this week. I'll be back next week at the Texans-Cowboys game. Being at the game limits the stuff that I can do but I suspect that it might be chicken fajitas so that we can make it into the stadium in time for kickoff.

-Don

I hear you Don. Yeah if I head out to a Giants game it's real simple stuff. But, I'd rather be at home. First off save a ton of money that can be spent well for several weeks of tailgate sundays. Second, when it gets cold out, I'd rather be cold for a short period of time and then back inside to warmth with my own bathroom! Plus the tickets I'd be able to by would be near the blimp. I'll take HD on a big screen!

I'm all in for week three!

Well I sure hope the Giants beat the Colts this weekend because the Texans can use all the help that they can get.

I did a little precook today. I made a 7 lb chicken that we saved the breast for chicken salad and ate the legs, wings and thighs for dinner tonight. Earlier today I made a sirlon tip roast for chicago style beef sandwiches for the games tomorrow. I had to let the roast cool for 4 hrs to be sliced paper thin for tomorrow. I figured sinse I had the wsm going to toss the chicken on. Tomorrow I will be making Moink balls to snack on during the games as well. Vince

Hope all your cooks go good today! Wish I was able to cook today
icon_frown.gif

Look forward to some pics this week!

GO GIANTS!

Here are some pic's from the MOINK's I made today and also the Chicago Style beef sandwiches. I made the roast yesterday but sliced and made samies today with some mozz. It was a very nice treat.

brisket009.jpg

Would you believe this roast...
brisket021.jpg

Made all of this...
brisket022.jpg

brisket023.jpg

Into a pot of hot juices and put on some day old Jimmy Johns bread with a couple slices of fresh mozz. Heaven!!!!!!

brisket025.jpg

brisket032.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Mitchell:
Holy cow Vince! That looks incredible! Got some heavy duty equipment there
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the comments. Shane I love this little chef's choice 610 food slicer. It really was fairly cheap when you think about all the money you can save on slicing your own meats and cheeses. I think I paid around $120 for it a year ago. The only thing I wish it had was a bigger blade. It limits you to the size of stuff you can slice with the 7" blade it comes with. However what I have done is cut stuff in half when the item is to large and it works for me.

This weekend I sliced the 3lb beef roast that cost me $11, 1 lb of mozz $5 and two chicken breast that the whole 7lb chicken cost me $7. Keep in mind we reserved the breast just for slicing and ate the wing, legs and thighs on another meal. Now the next time you are at the deli counter at your local store look at what these items cost sliced per pound.

This week I plan on having left overs from this for lunches and also beef sandwiches one night for dinner. With that being said this thing saves you money! To top it off I get to eat fresh food that I made myself and stay away from the fast food! I try to make things on the weekends to limit the amount of times I eat out during the week which in my opinion is a good thing. With the money I save I take my wife out on Fridays which is our treat to us! Thanks for the comments. Vince

Vince, 2 questions, whatis a MOINK, and second, what type of roast is that? I agree whole heartedly about the meat slicer. I picked one up an an estate auction a few years back for $5.00! Has saved me quite a bit, and I just use it mainly for making jerky! Anyhow, awsome pics, Iwould reall like to try the roast, looks great!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

18.5 WSM, Weber Genisis E310,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> whatis a MOINK,
wsmsmile8gm.gif

18.5 WSM, Weber Genisis E310, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meatball wrapped in bacon tossed on the grill. Some sauce them some don't.

We had some friends over for the Colts game, did OMS wings. Still working on my pic posting...

Test pic of the deck
OMSWings008.jpg

Some were on the kettle...
OMSWings015.jpg

Some on the WSM...
OMSWings016.jpg

Good friends and a good game!
OMSWings018.jpg

Looks awesome Shane! Your team beat up on mine but I expected it. Colts lost on opening week and were home so I figured we'd lose but a couple TDs but I was hoping to be wrong. Guess not
icon_frown.gif

Great looking stuff nguys!!

Vince want to share how you make your pot of meat juices for those sandwiches?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Into a pot of hot juices and put on some day old Jimmy Johns bread with a couple slices of fresh mozz. Heaven!!!!!!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure how old you are Vince, but you are wise beyond your years going after the day old JJ bread. Love that stuff!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ethan G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure how old you are Vince, but you are wise beyond your years going after the day old JJ bread. Love that stuff!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Ethan. Yes this is a well kept secret for making the best sandwiches in the world. I don't care what you are making but the secret is in the bread! Only 39 so not that old and wise!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Vince, 2 questions, whatis a MOINK, and second, what type of roast is that? I agree whole heartedly about the meat slicer. I picked one up an an estate auction a few years back for $5.00! Has saved me quite a bit, and I just use it mainly for making jerky! Anyhow, awsome pics, Iwould reall like to try the roast, looks great!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tim you can find the MOINK recipe here. http://thebbqgrail.com/recipes...al-moink-ball-recipe However there seems to be some controversy on what type of meat balls to use. I have been told to make them authentic you must use frozen Italian meatballs. I don't know but I think all kinds would yield great results. The ones I made were from beef meatballs and the finishing sauce was the #5 sauce from the site here at TVWBB! They were awesome.

The roast was a sirloin tip.I have used a bottom round roast as well and the results were good as well. I think I like the sirloin better. Try it you will like it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
Great looking stuff nguys!!

Vince want to share how you make your pot of meat juices for those sandwiches? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I will say living in Chicago this one is pretty close to what we get here. The one thing is I normally make a double batch of the aujus. The recipe calls for reheating in the oven and just mixing in the aujus and heating and mixing. Here in Chicago the beef stands warm the beef in a pot of the juices just long enough to warm it up and then make the sandwiches.

Also there is one other thing about this recipe. I think the spices might be a bit much. If you do not like spicy and you are making a single batch, I would only use half of the dry spices. However I would use the same amount of liquids.

Note this recipe calls to be made in your oven however it can be made on your grill or smoker as well. I would probably leave the smoke wood out on this one if you do not use the oven. Here is the recipe in it's entirety.

Italian Beef Sandwiches
From The NFL Gameday Cookbbok by Ray Lampe
Chronicle Books 2008
In Chicago, this is the food of the neighborhoods. Yeah we eat plenty of hot dogs too, but Italian Beef is the most popular sandwich in the Windy City.

Rub
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

One 4-pound sirloin tip or bottom round roast

Gravy
1 1/4 cups water
¼ cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper

10 crusty French Rolls
Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers (recipe below)
Giardiniera, as needed (available at most grocery stores near the pickles)

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine the rub ingredients and sprinkle them all over the roast. Place the roast on a rack in a small roasting pan, and roast for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the gravy ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. After 30 minutes, turn the oven down to 350°F. Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Slowly pour the gravy into the bottom of the pan. Cover and return it to the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 150°F. Remove it from the oven, uncover, and let cool for 30 minutes. Wrap the roast in foil and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight. Transfer the gravy to a bowl, being sure to get any stuck stuff from the bottom of the pan. At this point you should have 2 cups of gravy. If you’re short, add enough water to make 2 cups. Cover and refrigerate with the beef.

The next day, take the meat out of the refrigerator and slice it as thinly as possible. Slicing it while cold will help. This is a very important part of the recipe. If you can use an electric slicer, that would be the best, as you want it very thin. If not, get your best sharp knife and take your time slicing it as thinly as you possibly can. The authentic Chicago Italian Beef is sliced paper thin and that is key to its taste.

Now preheat the oven to 350°F. Add the beef and the gravy to a roasting pan or an oven-safe Dutch oven. Toss well to coat all of the beef with gravy. Cover and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and toss the meat to coat again. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes. Layer the meat on crusty French rolls with Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers (recipe below) and spicy hot giardiniera.

Makes about 10 sandwiches

Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers
This one is pretty simple, but it’s the perfect complement to the Italian beef.

¼ cup olive oil
2 green bell peppers, thickly sliced from top to bottom (not in rings)
1 red bell pepper, thickly sliced from top to bottom (not in rings)

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, or just until soft. Transfer the peppers and oil to a bowl and serve at room temperature with the beef.

Makes 2 cups

Not to sound like the total newbie that I am but what kind of cooking grate is that you have on the kettle?

Colts may have beaten the Giants but in terms of throwing helmets into the stands it was Giants 1 Colts 0.
icon_smile.gif

Back