Taco Shop Hot Sauce

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
There are thousands of taco shops around here and they all have pretty much the same thing and make it all the same too including their hot sauce/salsa. Here is my version which is pretty close to their version

About 2 cups dried Japanese chile peppers
10 Dried California or New Mexico chile peppers
1 tomato quartered
3 cloves garlic
1 small onion roughly chopped

Add 2 TBS oil in a large pan and add all of the ingredients. Cook until chile pods turn a darker red and the other veggies start to cook a little. If you can do this outdoors or you will stink up the house and cough a lot

Put everything in a blender, add about a 1/4 bunch of cilantro, salt to taste and about a half of a cup of water and blend. add water until you get the consistency you want.

Then get a bowl and a strainer and strain the seeds and skins from the sauce. You don't have to do this part but I think its better this way.

The sauce

The stuff that was strained out

Sauce ready to be used, but will taste better in a few hours and chilled in the fridge.

Thanks John; nice recipe!

As a former Sandy Eggan, I am happy to try this one out! Once north of San Diego, finding good taquerias gets harder and harder. Every time I visit, I get my fill of Las Cuatro Milpas, La Playa, Rivas or even El Indio.

Back