Szechuan Pepper in rubs?

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried szechuan pepper in rubs. Szechuan pepper had been banned from the US for a while because it was thought to be bringing a virus to orchards. However, the ban was lifted in March and I picked up some today at Pennzey's. I have used them in the past for making chocolate truffles, but have yet to try them in BBQ.

Szechuan pepper is actually not a member of the pepper family, but is the berry of the prickly ash tree. It causes a rather pleasant temporary numbness in the mouth.

David, I had no idea that Szechuan peppercorns were banned. I have a pepper grinder dedicated to them and have been using them for years to add to most of my Asian cooking and to other recipes for another subtle layer of flavor - I love the aromatic flavors. I'd nebbah had aneee nummnesss of da mowth.

Rita

Rita--

Are you sure you've had Szechuan pepper? It was banned for quite a while although you could easily get it (unmarked) in any Chinatown anywhere which is where I've always gotten mine. In 'regular' stores I've seen pink peppercorns labeled as Szechuan but they're clearly pinks from Reunion. Who knos what's been going in 5-spice blends but it hasn't been SP.

If you're sure you've have SP then perhaps you have the Korean variety. They are the only one I know that doesn't have the numbing property.

They're from the Rutaceae family--one of the citruses (in English, prickly ash, as David notes). They were banned because of citrus canker in Fla. The ban was lifted in 2005 for heat-treated fruits.

That's really interesting. I've been able to get what is labeled Szechuan Peppercorns in an Asian supermarket anytime I've needed them. Mine are reddish-brown, with the pods slightly blown open, many almost in half. They are quite lightweight compared to the denser white and Tellicherry black peppercorns. I have them FoodSavered in a jar - don't have the labels. In light of the ban, I'm really curious as to what I really might have. I'll send you some to check them out if you'd like to see them.

Rita

And that's really interesting. I've not seen them labeled anywhere--though it's not like I look for them every time I go into an Asian market. What you describe certainly sounds like SP. Maybe you have the non-numbing Korean variety--I know that one doesn't numb and perhaps there are others. I'm certainly not an authority. There are many kinds, many pungent-lemony-woodsy but a few that are more anise-like.

I've used it in poultry rubs mixing the Szechuan Peppercorns with salt and a bit of five spice powder. I find that it's good to have a good spice grinder for them, as the ones at my local asian grocery tend to have a bit of the outer husk attached to them and the hustks tend to stay intact if you are using a mortar and pestle to grind your spices, which means you have to sieve out the husks after you've ground the peppercorns. It's good to be sparing in your use of Szechuan peppercorns at first as some people can find the flavour overpowering. It's good to try and sieve your peppercorns after you've ground them as if you get a big chunk of peppercorn on your toungue, it can be a bit disconcerting as the numbing effect can be quite pronounced.

I personally love the flavor of Szechuan peppers in steamed shrimp - but have had trouble finding them the last few years. Thanks for the explanation.

Ray

My Szechuan peppercorns must be the Korean variety. I tried one on my tongue for a short time and the numbing reaction wasn't apparent, but the flavor is still good.

Ray, Penzey's carries them now.

Rita

Back