Switch for lighted knobs on Summit?

Phil-Greybeard

The rubber on the pushbutton to light up the knobs on my 2015 Summit vanished--I suspect a squirrel, though it could have just rotted away and I didn't notice it fall off. This looks like the switch:
but it is described as:
"Weber momentary light switch for "lighted" control knobs on Weber Summit 470/670 grills, model years 2007 and newer."

The "momentary" gives me pause: that would mean the knobs are only lit while it's pushed, rather than staying on until it's pushed again, as they are now. Is it just a mistake in the listing? It's described that way everywhere, not just Amazon, which is what concerns me. Yes, I can return it if it's wrong, but I'd rather not fight with replacing it twice...

Thanks for any insights!

The rubber on the pushbutton to light up the knobs on my 2015 Summit vanished--I suspect a squirrel, though it could have just rotted away and I didn't notice it fall off. This looks like the switch:
but it is described as:
"Weber momentary light switch for "lighted" control knobs on Weber Summit 470/670 grills, model years 2007 and newer."

The "momentary" gives me pause: that would mean the knobs are only lit while it's pushed, rather than staying on until it's pushed again, as they are now. Is it just a mistake in the listing? It's described that way everywhere, not just Amazon, which is what concerns me. Yes, I can return it if it's wrong, but I'd rather not fight with replacing it twice...

Thanks for any insights!
"Momentary switch" is the name of the button you're looking for. Our R&D people would have an explanation of why we chose to name it that, and I can appreciate it's confusing, but you're safe purchasing that if it's the button you're looking for. #IworkforWeber

Thanks. Color me irritated that someone doesn't know what "momentary switch" means. I can imagine that the actual switch actually IS a momentary type, and that there's a (probably silicon) relay that it toggles, but even if so, the word is just confusing there! Removing it would help and not cause any problems that I can imagine. Sounds like an engineering choice, not a well-thought-through customer-facing choice.

I'll take a stab at it. It's a accent light switch, so not something you use all the time, but in the " moment" you need it (like when it's dark out) you use it.

Is it a "forward clicky*" switch? Maybe that's why they used "momentary" in the description.

*flashlight-speak for a switch you can push part way and the light will come on - release it at that point and the light goes off like a purely momentary switch, or continue to push and it will click and remain on until you push the button a second time to turn it off

I ordered the replacement switch, which arrived promptly. Went to install it just now and I *cannot* get most of the knobs off! The three small ones and one of the big ones came off reasonably. The other five big ones are stuck, stuck, stuck and I feel like I'm going to destroy the panel they're attached to if I keep pulling.

Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? I suppose some sort of tool that would grab the edges of the knob and push back against the panel might work, but I sure don't have one...

Wiggle the knob left to right as you’re pulling each knob off. They do come off. Yours are just set from gunk and time. Common issue from my past experiences.

I just went to replace this same switch on a new to me Summit 470, issue I am having is the lights come on once the loaded battery pack is in place...without the switch installed??? When I install the switch nothing changes, lights stay on until I remove the batteries.

Does anyone happen to know the whole diameter for the switch? I'm adding the led lights to my now 450 restoration.

Check on one of the replacement parts website as IIRC they have dimensions of the part including diameter.

I believe this is your part.

Weber Accent Light Switch for Summit Series Grills 70189 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MX4HBNK/?tag=tvwb-20
I totally feel like a internet newbie 🤦🏾. I looked at that switch a million times on Amazon and even had it in the cart and never noticed. Thank you Brett.

Wiggle the knob left to right as you’re pulling each knob off. They do come off. Yours are just set from gunk and time. Common issue from my past experiences.
Thanks, will try again. I was glad the one came off so I knew I was at least not doing it entirely wrong! (like, missing a set screw or something)

Back