Supplies in Detroit?

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Even after Game 1 of the ALDS, my friends in Detroit have still invited me to come visit them this weekend on the condition that I smoke some pork for them. I agreed, but when I asked them about getting pork butt and they said "we are going to eat the bottom of a pig?" I knew that I might have to locate my own supplies when I get there.

Do any of you, who know Detroit, know where I can get:
A. Smoke Wood (esp. cherry)
B. Lump charcoal
and
C. Some Butts and a whole (peeled but untrimmed) beef tenderloin?

They may have already found a meat source, but I am sure they don't have a smoke wood source for me yet.

I don't know the area at all - I am flying into DTW tomorrow afternoon. Someone is picking me up and I will have the opportunity to go shopping, but I will have to tell them where to go (which ought to be interesting).

Thanks for the help!

Check to see if they have a Sam's Club card if not try Wal-Mart Super centers. That being for the meat. You can also use Home Depot and Lowes for your fuel sources and even look up a Gander Mountain for wood chips. They shouldn't have to travel to far for these places. Hope this helps ya.

Lump Charcoal is at GFS on Telegraph near Goddard in Taylor. 10065 Telegraph Rd, Taylor, MI 48180 313-291-0360 They have Royal Oak.

Meat is at Sam's Club on Northline Rd. near I-75 in Southgate. Or there are plenty of butchers in the area. Meat is not hard to get here.

Cherry wood is at Town 'n' Country True Value hardware store on Ford Rd. in Garden City. 734.422.2750

All of these are within about 15 - 20 minutes of the airport.

Jerry,

I'm in Monroe as well. Do you get any of your supplies here in town? The only place I've seen with decent lump is Walmart with Royal Oak, but only during the summer months. I usually get my ribs from Danny's, and Meijer's occasionally has pork butt. I haven’t found anywhere that sells wood chunks other than hickory and mesquite.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy,
I actually live in Huron Township. I use Monroe on this board because I do most of our shopping in that direction and I don't want to say I live in Detroit.

As for supplies, I don't buy smoke wood. We had a hickory tree hit by lightning so I have a ton of that. I got apple and pear wood from a local orchard and a little oak from a friend.

I work in Detroit so I either go to Sams in Southgate or the Eastern Market for my meat.

For my lump, I do go to the GFS in Taylor. So far, they have always had Royal Oak lump, however, I've been to other GFS's and they don't all carry lump.

My best suggestion is to stock up if you have a local supply that doesn't carry through the winter. Also, it is apple orchard time here in Michigan and that is a great way to get free or at least cheap apple wood. You should also look at all True Value and ACO hardward stores if you have any close. Some of them are grill specility shops like the one in Garden City.

Back