Suggestions for Wood Order?

Mike D

TVWBB Member
Looking to place an order for a pretty sizeable amount of wood (50lb apple plus 20lbs of some others) and was hoping to find a place that offered a discount on shipping for larger orders.

Any suggestions? If not a shipping discount, anyone know of a place that just offers a good price on wood?

I was looking at the Charcoal Store and the shipping charge is $61 for a 70lb wood order. No discount offered.

Originally posted by LarryR:
I'm a big fan of SmokinLicious. Don't know about discounts on "Large" orders but it doesn't hurt to ask.

+1 for smokinlicious. the best woods I have are all from them. They even provide detail on the moisture content.

+2.

I live in Australia and order all of my chunks from them - including paying shipping (that should say it all). Absolutely fantastic product!

Thanks guys. I found some good prices on Ebay, but will check out the other suggestions for future reference, especially the smokinlicious site. - Mike

Mike...Try Craigslist. Look for firewood, probably much cheaper that way. That's how I got mine. I paid 20-25 bucks for a big wheelbarrow full of Cherry and Apple. About 25-30 fireplace sized logs or so. Pretty much a lifetime supply..lol. It's worth a shot.

Mike,

Your profile or sig line does not state what part of the country you are located in.

That said - smoke wood is often about being resourceful. There's nothing really "special" about it that you have to buy or order it from somewhere.

Most parts of the country have places where you can get raw logs or trimmings. Do a little research, and find-out if there are any fruit and/or nut orchards in your part of the country. If there are, many orchard growers are happy to have you take some trimmings off their hands. There are ample Apple orchards around here, as well as some pear, cherry, and oak.

Also, check with your local arborists / forestry departments and neighbors. In the spring, look and ask for apple (even flowering crab works good) or other fruit-wood limbs when people do their trimming. A little of this stuff, with a nice, sharp bow-saw and a hatchet for splitting larger chunks goes a long way!

One final thought - if you find a good source for trimmed limbs, a little finished 'que makes for good barter payment!

Second vote for DoItBest.com.

I just did about a 100lb order and I've used this method about 6-8 times. The shop owner gets credit for the sale for some end of the year bonus and it's only in their store for about a day. He's asked me a couple of times to please continue to use his store. Works for me, no tax, no shipping, decent quality wood. Can't beat a win-win situation.

Russ

Mike,

I got a promotional email from Amazon today and they have a sale on wood with free shipping for orders over $25. You may want to check it out.

Ray

I live in Raleigh, NC. Looked around here for an orchard several times, to no avail.

Ray - Crap! I just ordered some off of Ebay, so I missed the free amazon shipping. Got a pretty decent deal I think - 50lbs of apple for $54 incl shipping. Appreciate the heads-up, however. Where did you see the offer?

My favorite is the bourban barrel chunks...love the smell of the burbon soaked oak...from the Northwoods Smoke of Minnesota folks...

Ray - Crap! I just ordered some off of Ebay, so I missed the free amazon shipping. Got a pretty decent deal I think - 50lbs of apple for $54 incl shipping. Appreciate the heads-up, however. Where did you see the offer?

Mike,

Somehow I am on their distribution list and got an e-mail. Probably because I have an account set up with them with a password, etc.

I get a lot of free pecan wood from the groundskeeper at my golf course. Whenever he trims the trees, he gives me whatever I want. You may check some of the courses around RDU and see what you can find.

Ray

Back