Stupid question of the day

Mike from Iowa

I'm going to mix up rub to use on a few racks of babybacks and my question is when they say to use granulated garlic in the recipe is that garlic salt or garlic powder?

Thanks in advance for your laughter and responses, Mike

I use garlic powder. I'm sure it's not garlic salt, but I'm not sure if there is a product that is actually called "granulated". So I just use garlic powder.

Granulated garlic is essentially garlic powder that hasn't been ground quite as fine.

You can find it at most spice stores. Costco's brand has a very good one.

What the others said. Go with the powder.

But if you get rub spices i can really recomend getting them granulated instead. Gives a really nice flavour/bite. Thats why i really dig the Dizzy pig spices. I always looking for coarse grind spices for rubs,or grind myself.

I'm with Daniel when it comes to course ground. I usually buy garlic flakes and grind them myself. If I'm out of flakes I'll use granulated and I usually use powdered in sauces.

I got a jar of Sonoma Farm Sweet & Hot Garlic Cloves with Jalapenos a few years ago in a Christmas gift basket.
When the jar starts to get empty I add several cloves of fresh garlic, a sliced jalapeno, a little simple syrup, and a little vinegar.
I mince or chop or add a whole clove or two when I cook. This is my favorite garlic to use.
I have garlic powder, granulated garlic, and garlic salt on my spice shelf but rarely use them.

Welcome Mike,

Not a stupid question at all. Many swap out the powder with granulated at will but keep in mind 1/4 t of powder = approx 1/2 t of granulated due to the difference in volume (same holds true for table salt vs crystal salt vs kosher salt). The granulated will hold up longer in most cooking environments so it can be favored for rubs. The finer powder releases flavor much sooner. As others have said garlic salt is something all together different. Unless specifically stated in a recipe, dried garlic implies powder or granulated. I never use garlic salt for anything.

Paul

I use granulated.......primarily because I buy it by the bucket load at Sam's club and it's much cheaper than buying the little jars at the supermarket.

I've gotten used to granulated in all of my rubs and I'm very pleased with it.

I never use garlic salt......I always use granulated garlic and kosher salt to taste.

The above nailed it. Granulated garlic is just a coarser grind of garlic vs. powder. Per Paul, note that it's not a 1:1 swap.

As for garlic salt, I simply mix my own and really only use it for Chris Lilly recipes. His seem to favour onion and garlic salt.

Is your granulated really that course. Mine from Costco doesn't look drastically different from powder and never thought of a conversion. Maybe I should.

Back