Stuffed Pork Loin Ideas???

KevinJ

TVWBB Pro
I am looking for a different stuffed pork loin idea. I am having fathers day here at my house and feeding about 15 people. I have done Larry'salready so I want to switch it up. I am thinking maybe diced tomatos, motz cheese, and spinich or another type of green. I will be cooking on the WSM but probably without smoke wood. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edit: Oh, an no mushrooms.

How about prosciutto, spinach (bled first), parm with a little mozz (mozz alone is pretty bland) or parm and fontina, or parm and fontina and mozz, onion and a bit of garlic, sun-dried tomato or diced tomato?

I like that. Just a few questions. When you say (beld) for the spinich, what do you mean? I am thinking fresh spinich cooked down with OO and garlic, then cooled and ready to be used? What kind of ratios would you use for the filling? I do like the fresh tomato but am intrigued by the sun-dried.

Thanks for the ideas

A description of the process for spinach is described here.

I'd likely go with 2 bags pre-washed spinach, 3 if on the light side (spinach reduces dramatically when bled or sautéed, as you know); a few tablesppon of freshly grated parm; enough of the softer cheese(s) (the fontina or fontina-mozz blend) to cover the interior well but not thickly; a medium nion, finely chopped; a couple or three minced cloves or garlic; 2-3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, finely chopped (par-freeze first to make this easier); 1/4-1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained well, finely chopped; if you wish you can add an equal amount finely chopped peeled diced tomato, well drained.

If you go with the sun-dried use some of the oil from the jar to sauté the onion till just beginning to color; add the garlic and cook, stirring, till it's very fragrant, about 45 seconds - don't let it brown. Scrape all into and allow to cool some. Add the bled spinach to the bowl, breaking it up with your fingers as you do (it packs very tightly when squeezing it during the bleeding process). Continue breaking it up with a spoon once in the bowl so that the bowl mixture combines well.

If you've left the spinack lightly seasoned with salt, good. Stir in a little pepper to taste, the prosciutto, the sun-drieds, the fresh tomato (if using), and the parm.

Lightly salt and pepper the interior of the roast, topped with some of the frated cheese, spoon on the filling from the bowl, spreading it, add the reszt of the cheese, roll and tie. Season the exterior; cook.

Kevin,

I just put everything together and they look great. The spinich stuffing with everything added in smells fantastic. I have taken pics but I am packing it all up to take to my inlaws now for the cook so I will post them later. Thanks again for your help with this.

Kevin,

It was fantastic. The stuffing was full of flavor and everyone loved it. It was exactly what i was looking for. I am also glad that I went with the sun dried tomatos as they brought more flavor than just regular ones. The bleeding of the spinich was new for me but since I tasted before and after I could see what it accomplished and why you suggested it. The only issue I had was that the final product did not have very much cheese in it as compared to what I had stuffed. I am guessing that it had to do with how it was tied and it seeped out. But that was really the only thing that was an issue. Thanks again for the recipe and I will link pics them once I get a chance.

I'm glad it worked for you. Yes, post the pic links.

Bleeding spinach is a technique I use frequently when working with it. E.g., I just made spanakopita the other day. I bled the spinach for it. Though you'll rarely see recipes calling for this approach - most will have you cook it in a splash of water - the results are much, much better doing the former over the latter; the flavor is there but without the metallic, oxalic acid notes (that are sometimes quite intense) common to cooked spinach that are then used in stuffings.

Cheese seepage can be an issue. Sometimes it is just the amount and upping it will do the trick. A binder can help hold it in - breadcrumbs are of course common - but I'm not always wanting that density. Among other possible options: finely ground almonds or pine nuts, toasted first for flavor, or not; minced dried fruit(s); chickpea (or other legume) flour; an increase in the dryer, harder cheese.

Back