Stubbs Natural Charcoal??

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
Just looking for some feedback. I'd like to find a more natural charcoal instead of Kingsford. They are carried by Lowes, so it's convenient.

i just got my 1st bag yesterday. i usually use RO lump and only use K when it is dirt cheap like the BOGO HD had memorial day weekend. i used it last night indirect on the kettle and it held my 300 target temp for 2.5 hours easy. i have the WSM loaded with it now for 2 racks of spares.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
Just looking for some feedback. I'd like to find a more natural charcoal instead of Kingsford. They are carried by Lowes, so it's convenient. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a new WSM user, but I have used the Stubb's several times and it seems a good choice for me. Very available here too. I had mentioned it over on the newcomer forum. The most recent cook, I had more charcoal loaded than it turns out I needed, and it just lasted and lasted. Too bad I had nothing else to put in the WSM for the free ride.
icon_smile.gif

just under 9 dollars for 15 pounds at lowes is actually cheaper than RO lump at walmart. i like this stuff. i put a weber chimney of unlit in the ring and dumped about 12-15 lit on it and it kept a lid temp of 240-260 while my spares were on for 5.5 hours. then i took the water pan and clay saucer out and propped the door open to get to 380-400 to sauce and crisp the ribs. then while the ribs were resting under foil on the counter i threw 6 ears of corn on the top grate with t he door still propped open for another 15-20 minutes(turning the ears every 5 minutes) at just under 400. with all the vents open and door back on it's still right at 350 after 7.5 hours hours. oh, and the ribs were fantastic
icon_biggrin.gif

i just tried my first bag of stubb's, and was very happy. very few broken briqs, long even burn, no funky smell, and all natural. the local lowe's had it, and the price was good. hopefully they continue to carry it. i have that curse that everything i fall in love with gets discontinued.

Back