Stoker wireless setup with Mac help needed

Kit_R

TVWBB Member
Just got my Stoker, and prior to its arrival I inquired with my local Apple store as well as Apple Tech Support as to the best setup to control the Stoker wirelessly. I have a MacBook and run my Verizon Internet access wirelessly through a Time Capsule (disabled the router portion of the Verizon provided modem/router combo unit).

Apple Store told me I should connect the Stoker to an Airport Extreme and that the Time Capsule would "identify" the Stoker IP address via the Airport Extreme and that I'd be in business.

Of course, it didn't quite work out that way. First of all, the Stoker IP address on the unit shows something odd (000.001.002), but I'm not overly familiar with the details of IP addresses so maybe that's not a problem. Next, I was unable to get the Time Capsule to "identify" the Airport Extreme wirelessly (whatever that means). After that didn't work, I actually found a long enough Ethernet cable and plugged the Stoker into the Time Capsule directly and tried entering the IP address displayed on the Stoker into my browser. No luck again as the address was not found. Ultimately I decided to just let the Stoker do its thing on its own and that worked great; the new probe plugs with LEDs allowed me to see from the sofa through a glass door that the fan was cycling on and off out on the patio.

My basic question is: What am I doing wrong? I see a few issues here.

Do I need to do something with the Stoker to get it to generate a "valid" IP address? Or is the 000.001.002 address OK?

Did I waste money buying an Airport Extreme? I've seen some comments elsewhere that others have successfully used an Airport Express and even generic "G" routers to wirelessly monitor and control their Stoker from a Mac. So can I use the Airport Extreme? Is an Airport Express a better option? And by better I mean "the Extreme will work, but the Express works just as well at less than half the price".

As an aside, I'm not one to ease into things, so on this first use of the Stoker, I forged ahead with a plan to smoke a brisket the first time out of the box. All things considered, it's actually looking really good. The ultimate test will occur later this afternoon when I taste the finished product!

Well I have a Mac, PC, and a Stoker but I do not connect using wireless. I am not up on the whole airport extreme/express capabilities. However your going to need a wireless router and a wireless access point connected to the stoker. If the airport is able to do that great. As you said the IP for the stoker looked odd it only had 3 octets/sets, it should have 4. Usually on a LAN the IPs will be 192.168.0.xxx.

The router will give the stoker an IP and you will be able to read the IP off of the stoker's screen. then on your Mac simply add that into the browser and the stoker's control page should load. BTW howd the Brisket come out?

Thanks Eric. I was able to get everything running with John's help at Rock BBQ. It was mostly operator error. I hooked the Stoker to the functioning Airport Express, which was joined to my local network, which runs off a Time Capsule. Once I powered the Stoker down and back up it generated an IP address. I entered the IP address in my browswer and I was in business. One important piece of info John gave me was to knock off the leading zeros on the IP address display window. I knew I had too many numbers, but had not yet figured how which ones to leave out when entering the address. Now that I've got local network access, I am ready to move forward with the new Twitter access (John told me about it yesterday while we were chatting).

That is how I run mine when at home. At comps, its a direct connect into a windows PC...
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric G:
Well I have a Mac, PC, and a Stoker but I do not connect using wireless. I am not up on the whole airport extreme/express capabilities. However your going to need a wireless router and a wireless access point connected to the stoker. If the airport is able to do that great. As you said the IP for the stoker looked odd it only had 3 octets/sets, it should have 4. Usually on a LAN the IPs will be 192.168.0.xxx.

The router will give the stoker an IP and you will be able to read the IP off of the stoker's screen. then on your Mac simply add that into the browser and the stoker's control page should load. BTW howd the Brisket come out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
BTW I forgot to mention the brisket was awesome. I've got coworkers actually giving me money to make more. I'm happy to comply! And I made ribs using Mike Mills' Apple City recipe with the same reaction. In fact I'm making another few racks for work this evening!

Nice glad things worked out for you. The ribs sound good. Its real nice to be getting compliments on your "Q". Good luck keeping it low and slow in the future...

Back