Stoker into Linksys wireless; accessing from outside

Eric Simon

TVWBB Fan
Hi, y'all. Yet another "I need help getting my Stoker working over the Internet!" post... I am not particularly good with computer networks, so I am trying to muddle through.

For the first time today, I successfully wired up my Stoker and was able to see it via a web browser. I ran an Ethernet cable into my Linksys WRT54G-S wireless router and am able to call up the Stoker via the port number (which was assigned to it via DCHP from the router) in Internet Explorer. It works on any computer that is on the Linksys wireless network. Cool!

I'd like to take it to the next level by making it so that I can access my Stoker from any computer, not just one that is on that wireless router. I read the documentation from Stoker about how to do this:
http://www.rocksbarbque.com/Stoker_inet.pdf

It requires me to associate the MAC of the Stoker (which I have) to a specific IP address. I believe Linksys calls this "DHCP reservation" and it cannot be done on the Linksys WRT54G. So I hit the wall of what I can figure out.

If I understand it, I need to get the Linksys router to permanently assign a static IP address to the Stoker, but I cannot figure out how to do that. Any help? Once I've done that, I can move on to the step of making that static IP address seeable from the outside (via port forwarding or whatever).

Thanks so much!

All I did was to (via the Stoker's front panel) assign an IP address outside the range of what your DHCP is set to serve up. i.e., if your DHCP assigns 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.2.20, choose something line 192.168.2.25 for your Stoker. All will be good. Since you're assigning the Stoker its own address, it won't make a request to the DHCP for an address.

Eric, I didn't bother with a static IP, I typically get the same IP and if I don't I just use Stokers System Info to get the IP (I suppose it would be easier but I never bothered with it).

I too have the WRT54G and here's a picture of my port forwarding settings. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Larry and Dave.

I was able to get both of your methods to work: let the Linksys assign an IP address via DHCP (it was always the same, 104), or go into the Stoker, set the last digit of the IP myself (to 250, in my case). In either case, I could then access that IP address within my home network and pull up the Stoker Status via the web browser.

I set the port forwarding just as Larry showed (except using my device's IP address) and I was able to type in the IP address of the home network (the one assigned by my ISP) and was able to connect (via port 80).

However, that connection is not working on a machine outside my home network. That is, when I give the IP address (the one assigned by my ISP) to a friend it doesn't work. Hmmm. There might be some setting on my home network that prevents outside computers from getting in. I am tracking that down now.

Thanks for the help!

Okay, I got it working. I had to put the Stoker IP in the "DMZ" of the router. And now it works from anywhere. Whew!

I can pull it up through the browser of my Blackberry and control it that way. Most excellent.

And now to install StokerLog and get that working...

Thanks again, everyone! You are a bunch of good guys. You really are.

Back