Stoker in bad weather?

Eric Simon

TVWBB Fan
Greetings! Another newbie question...

Obviously, one should take great care to protect the Stoker unit in rain/snow. But what about the fan? Is it okay for it to sit in the elements? Or should one protect that as well? And if so, how?

Thanks!

I use a piece of foil to create a shield over the blower. The foil goes between the adapter and the body of the WSM:

and then is folded down to create an umbrella:

(Click on thumbnails to see full-size photos.)
Pinching the foil around the cable helps keep it from blowing out of position.

You could easily make a more permanent version with a piece of aluminum flashing, but the foil solution has worked very well so far.

Excellent advice, Larry, thank you! Do you have photos of the rest of your foul-weather setup? I assume that the Stoker unit goes in a Ziploc bag, and that any connections (to an extension cable, for example) are taped over.

This is my solution, some flexible plastic duct piping.

URL=http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/zz142/Frank54_photos/?action=view&current=my_mod_wsm.jpg]
th_my_mod_wsm.jpg
[/URL

killer idea on the foil!!! will have to try that.

I (with my Cyber-Q II) really like to do bad weather and coldweather cooking.

While i have a couple of temporary shelters to block wind I'm thinking of making a larger enclosure that either mu 22 or my 18 could go it that would pretty much make most of these concerns a non issue. I saw one at a competetion tht someone built a slpped roof and put shingles on it!!

I'm amazed that with all the snow I've blown of my 10cfm pit viper fan over the last couple of years that I hadn't fried it!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Simon:
Excellent advice, Larry, thank you! Do you have photos of the rest of your foul-weather setup? I assume that the Stoker unit goes in a Ziploc bag, and that any connections (to an extension cable, for example) are taped over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Stoker unit does go in a Ziploc bag, closed as tightly as possible. It rests on top of a plastic storage box and I generally arrange it so the opening of the bag is the lowest point, to minimize the chance of any water getting inside (paranoia... maybe). Once, when an unexpected rain storm started at about 4:00 a.m., I quickly fabricated a cover for the WSM lid, from extra-wide foil, which probably wasn't really necessary.

I use the rubbermaid box with some PVC additions. This time of year, there's a heating pad in the box too to keep things warm and working.
I've used foil on the fan, but going foward I'm stealing the beer can solution. Brilliant.
CIMG4974.jpg

I use a yogurt container with a notch cut in it to fit the fan. This stays on the fan nicely through wind and protects it from rain. This photo is at the end of 14 hour cook that saw rain for 13 of those hours.
4263982273_f3d3ff4565_o.jpg

Mark

Just wondering is there a trick for cutting the Rubbermaid container.
I use a small Ziploc container for my Digiq thin easy to cut with a knife
Didn’t know if you used a hole saw/drill the cuts look clean

Well, wouldn't you know that the day I finish my weatherproof box for the Stoker is a beautiful, bright sunny day!

I followed the design of some others on this board. The plastic bin was about $4 at Home Depot. I drilled a hole in the side, then connected two PVC fittings (less than $1 each) with a little silicone caulk, and caulked well around where they pass through the plastic box.

So far, so good! If it's raining, I think I'd move the AC adapter into the box and feed the extension cord through the fittings as well.

Here are some pics.
Jeff's Stoker Enclosure

Jeff

Back