Stoker and Mac OS X

Joe Keenan

TVWBB Fan
Are you a Stoker and Mac OS X user? StokerLog is nice, but I don't really want to keep Windows running just to track a BBQ session. I've got a very simple app running now that uses the JSON interface in the Stoker beta software to query the temps, etc. I'm probably going to add simple time vs temp graphing, but nothing as complex as Amir currently has.

Just wondering how many potential users I might have for such an app, and what their "must have" features would be.

joe

Are you going to do any special OSX stuff? The reason I ask is that I am a 25-year Unix head currently running Linux. As a very early webmaster (1992) I wrote a few CGI programs in C and Perl back in the 1990's, but nothing since. I went back and forth on trying an arduino, even though I am not a hardware type, because its programming interface is C/C++ versus the Stoker. I do have a WinXP box on my network for video capture and editing, but I want to keep pit control and monitoring on Linux and iphone. When I found that the web interface was documented, that at least opened the possibility of doing some custom programming. Documentation of the telnet and ftp interfaces gave another way to collect data for recording and graphing. I ordered my Stoker yesterday.

However, I have no idea what json is, and I have never done anything with java because I can usually do what I want with procedural programming easier than I can visualize object-oriented approaches.

So I am definitely interested in what you are doing. Have you found the discussions of webapp that were going on back in the Winter? j ostheim has a cgi charting program on the web. He also talks about json and trying to get "them" to implement jsonp.

In short, count me in. I want to be able to chart in real time while cooking. In the short term I ordered 1 fan and pit probe, plus 3 food probes. Since I have not seen the builtin interface I am not sure what can be controlled or monitored by default. Once I get mine, then I may have more requests. :)

Is it really going to take 2 to 3 weeks for delivery?

Here is one example of what I did with the Stoker. My smoker is electric so I am not using the fan control.

bbqmonitor

Click on 'Start Monitor' to see my latest smoke. Also, the tabs at the bottom display a lot of information and most of the source. This is way over-kill for the non technical user.

If you're interested in bleeding edge stuff, I am working on a new temperature control algorithm (PID replacement). The documentation is almost complete and will be out on my web site soon.

I do alot with Perl, javascript, ajax, mySql, etc. and would like to help out in any way I can.

Curt

My current project is for a native Mac OS X application (Obj-C, Cocoa, etc). I might also port that to iOS (iPhone, iPad) after I have it working. The catch on that will be availability of whatever 2D graphing framework I use.

I like what Curt did with a Web UI. I thought about doing that, but I really did want something that would translate to the iOS devices eventually.

Yes, it does take three weeks for delivery. At least, it did for mine. I really shouldn't complain, because it was several more weeks after I got it before I did my first smoke. There are some challenges when when you live fill-time in an RV, and are currently roaming around Alaska.
icon_wink.gif

joe

My StokerX program for Mac OS X is moving along. I'm going to be looking for beta testers pretty soon. If you're interested, please send me a PM.

Oh, since I'm using the JSON interface, you need to be running version 2.6.0.226 or later.

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Murray Wilson:
Joe very interested. Could not see a way to PM you in this forum... Please advise...
Murray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beta version 0.1 is available at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7563539/StokerX-0.1.zip. Email address for bug reports is in the README.

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan B.:
Joe, how is the new programs working. Will be downloading it someday when I get a stoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's getting there. Haven't done much on it the last couple weeks. I need to rewrite the section that sets up the data structures, because it's currently putting duplicate info in the data table. I usually only work on it when I'm actually doing a smoke, so I have live data to work with.
icon_smile.gif

joe

Back