Stock lid temp vs Maverick grate temp

Mike Oz

I have a 18" WSM and so far I have cooked a pork butt and 3 racks of ribs. Everything has come out delicious. I'm planning on smoking a brisket this weekend and I want to make sure I get it right.

When I cooked the pork butt, the Maverick probe at the top grate level was 25 degrees or so away from the stock lid temperature. When following the recipes on this web site, should I go by the lid temp or the maverick temp? Thanks for your time.

I think you'll see unanimous agreement with Joe on this one to use the temp at the grate and not the lid temp.

That's a very good question, and if you're referring to Chris' recipes, then refer to the page linked below. See what he says down at the "Which method is right for you?" but basically, he measured temp through the top vent, and then went to a Teltru gauge with a 4" stem mounted where the Weber gauge now is located.

Vent temp averages 15* or so higher than grate temp, but the dome gauge reads quite low until the meat heats up. But if measuring grate temp with a probe, beware that it's not always so easy to be sure you're getting an average grate temp. If too close to the outside edge the meat will be cooking a little slower than that, and if measured too close to cold meat, higher temps than measured will actually be hitting the bottom of the meat. Not to mention that one side of the grate can measure 15 or 20* or more different from the other side of the grate. I suggest picking one and learn your temps and times from there. It can be confusing and hard to learn temps and times if you keep changing it up.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/measuretemp.html#right

Back