Steaming wings before smoking...

Mike Mischler

TVWBB Member
Has anyone tried steaming chicken wings before smoking to render some of the fat (Alton Brown did this to wings before finishing in the oven)?

Not sure if its a good idea, but thought I might ask you all...

It's not really necessary. You're most likely smoking the wings at a lower temperature than AB's oven finish. So you should see plenty of fat rendered from your wings on just the smoker.

I've done wings on the WSM more than anything else, and have never considered them remotely fatty. Brine them, smoke them, and (if desired) sauce them. Even 250ish temps work well, as the wings are too small to have rubbery skin problems.

Quick opinion, I'm not a fan of brining wings. They're pretty small with lots of fat and surface cooking area. I think you risk oversalting them with a brine. Just my opinion though.

James,

My family loves salt.

icon_smile.gif

Just did 4 pounds of wings for a football party. They turned out ok.

I brined them, rinsed and dried the wings, applied a rub, and then let them dry out in the fridge for 24 hours.

Before smoking them I applied a real thin layer of olive oil to the skin.

Smoked at 250-260 degrees.

Skin wasn't exactly crispy but it wasn't rubbery either.

How can I get crispier skin? Vegetable instead of olive oil? Should I not apply the rub before drying them out in the fridge? Finish them on the grill?

Wings are so delish and simple to cook. Crank the wsm to 350 and put wings on grate. Cook for 45mins to an hour. Skin will be perfectly crispy and the wings will be so delish.

Noe - You are correct about wings being easy and good! Do you leave the water pan in or take it out of the WSM for wing cooking? I have heard doing them w/o the water pan in the WSM is the way to go.

I have been cooking wings on my kettle for a few years now, and they are much better than baking or frying. I use 3/4 lit chimney of K Blue stacked on one side for a 2-zone direct & indirect cook, a chunk of apple or pecan wood for smoke flavor, and I sear them for a minute or two direct to get them crispy, then stack in a pile on the indirect side for a total of 40-45 minutes.

Easy and delicious!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by a palombo:
Just did 4 pounds of wings for a football party. They turned out ok.

I brined them, rinsed and dried the wings, applied a rub, and then let them dry out in the fridge for 24 hours.

Before smoking them I applied a real thin layer of olive oil to the skin.

Smoked at 250-260 degrees.

Skin wasn't exactly crispy but it wasn't rubbery either.

How can I get crispier skin? Vegetable instead of olive oil? Should I not apply the rub before drying them out in the fridge? Finish them on the grill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to cook at a higher temperature to get crispy skin. I usually toss mine in olive or canola oil, depending on which is easiest to grab, and cook at 375-400 indirect on my kettle. Not sure if you can get your wsm up to 400 or not but anything over 325 usually works for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've done wings on the WSM more than anything else, and have never considered them remotely fatty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. I almost never cook wings - in any way or in any cooker - but have never considered them fatty at all.

On the rare occasions I cook them it is either in the oven, or indirect on a kettle or in a WSM. Temps well over 400 start to finish.

Jim H, i do not use the water pan for any cooks in my wsm, also my wsm is a modified 18" to a 22", i have no problems getting temps up or above 350.

Back