Steak of the Month

Back to the Future week means it's time for my September Steak of the Month.
CSHSCF-WIAAf_tx.jpg:large

Left to right is Pichana with garlic-rosemary paste, shallot-pepper paste, and Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning.

Last edited:
Off the grill...
CSHcR1pWEAAZwaz.jpg:large

And on the plate...
CSHiYBwWcAAIcTb.jpg:large

That was as good as at any Brazilian Steak House. We just didn't get the variety of meats.

I'm tellin' you, Jim, once you know how to make your own picanha, you're expectations when eating out at a Brazilian churrascaria go way up. Nice job by your butcher in leaving a nice thick fat cap — the browned salty fat is definitely my favorite part of eating picanha. I'd say you nailed this cook, very well executed. Terrific looking sides too.

Brad - The steaks are from a boutique butcher shop in NC. The have a nice selection dry aged beef. I'm looking at 3 inch filet or maybe a prime rib roast from there.

Jerome - I haven't used my rotisserie in a long time, so I had trouble timing my cooking. I checked after 30 minutes and was at 130, carryover took the meat to medium. Considering that and that it was a beef cut that I would never think of grilling, it was really good.

CTz_n49WwAEituA.jpg:large

20 oz. Porterhouse for November. Although the smallish filet may qualify this as a T-bone. I dry-aged this for a couple day, which accounts for the lines on the meat.

I'm going for a Steakhouse-style dinner, so I started with a wedge salad.
CTz_jShWIAApGy7.jpg:large

Grilled steak on sizzling platter.
CTz6v6qUcAIvAH_.jpg

Steakhouse sides: Twice baked potatoes and buttered green beans with slivered almonds and garlic. ;
CTz6xDLUEAAToB_.jpg

CTz6x-oUYAAZWSx.jpg

I added melted blue cheese butter and a fine beverage to complete my meal.

The strip portion of this steak was the best I have had in a long time. NY strip was always my favorite, but lately they seem to by tough and gristly. This strip was tender and delicious, no chewy parts whatsoever. I didn't miss not having a larger tenderloin portion.

My final Steak of the Month for 2016 was a 16 oz. USDA Prime Strip Steak. It was a really nice looking piece of meat.
CWCJj92UAAAccSt.jpg

I decided to use my BGE to grill this steak. I haven't used the BGE much lately because it is a relative pain to use and I had forgotten how hot the fire can get. The thermometer read 600F when I took this photo.
CWCxlVHWoAAFd_y.jpg

Here's the finished steak resting on the sizzling platter.
CWCJkupUkAAD8wI.jpg

My half of the steak is plated here. Excellent flavor, texture, and tenderness.
CWCJkz1UEAEq9oT.jpg

The SOTM program for the first half of 2016 has gone up in price to $129. I really enjoyed this year's steaks, but don't know if I want to spend that much money for the steaks they are offering next year.

Last edited:
ClvEZf6XIAQ88Gj.jpg

Although I ended up buying the Butcher's Market Steak of the Month for the first half of 2016, I never got around to posting any of the meals. This was because some were repeats of 2015 (Filet Mignon and strip steak) and others were indoor cooks (Ossobucco and Burgandy Wine Tips).

June's cut is exceptional. It is supposed to be a 38 ounce Tomahawk Steak, but my scale read 4 pounds 1 ounce. This steak is so big that I will have to be creative to fit it over the coals on my kettle. I'll probably grill it tomorrow, so any advice or recipes are gladly welcome.

P.S. @Phil B Q - Dinner will be served at around 19:00 tomorrow.

Cl1NpiLUsAAgGKe.jpg:large

Weighing over 4 pounds, I treated this steak like a roast. It looks like a one-bone rib roast with the bone left long.

Cl1YSD7WQAAD9lF.jpg

Serving suggestion. It tastes like prime rib, only much much much better.

Cl1dqUpWkAAksEn.jpg:large

Join the Clean Plate Club.

Back