Stashing/Archiving a portion of the graph

Wayne Ficklin

TVWBB Fan
I cooked a pork butt using my HeaterMeter on my 18.5 wsm saturday night/sunday morning. I've let it run since then, but would like to only "stash" the cook portion of the graph. Is there any way to pare the superfluous (post-cook) portion of the graph?

Last edited:
On the todo list there is a function to clip a portion of the graph. However, it is blocked by the fact that RRD will only import/export XML files for some reason. The rrdtool we use doesn't have XML support therefore it makes it impossible to implement without some crazy workarounds which would not produce identical output. When I get a chance to redo the software I'll integrate the XML support needed then this will be somewhat trivial to write on the backend (although the UI will take 10x longer).

My question is about stash (or csv file) granularity. When I grab the csv file, I'm getting data points every three minutes, I'd like that a LOT finer. A second, or a few seconds. Is the data in the .rrd file if I use rrdtool to extract it, or is 3 min granularity the best we get?

The RRD file stores data in 4 different granularities:
-- 10 second average per point x 360 = 1 hour of data
-- 60 second average per point x 360 = 6 hours of data
-- 120 second average per point x 360 = 12 hours of data
-- 180 second averages per point x 480 = 24 hours of data per point

So you can select how fine the data is, but it limits the total collection time of the data. The CSV file gives you the same interval that the graph would, which is based on how much data is in the file. You can get the different ranges from the CSV exporter by adding "&nancnt=X" to the end of the url.
-- &nancnt=460 is 1 hour
-- &nancnt=360 is 6 hours
-- &nancnt=240 is 12 hours
-- &nancnt=0 is 24 hours

These numbers come from the drop down box for range under the graph on the homepage and override the auto-ranger's count of blank data (nan) in the data file. If you're looking for 10 second averages over 24 hours or something like that, we don't store that much data, just enough data to fill the graph.

Perfect, I'll try that out tonight. Matches the behavior of other rrd-based utilities that I've used.

Back