Standing Rib Roast and trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

B. Foster

TVWBB Fan
I just called the butcher because I'm going to have about 12 people over tomorrow. I'd asked about the price of the meat and he told me that if I'd like him to trim the roasts down to about 12 pounds (I guess what he has in stock runs about 20) the price would be 10.99/lb. He then said that if I'd like the whole 20 pounds in the unopened bag he'd only charge 8.49/lb. Well, I'm going to take that deal because I'll be cooking some for Christmas also.

To try to end this post and get to my point...are there any specifics I need to know about trimming the roast?

If you happen to be passing a book store read How to Grill bbq book about prime rib. Its got some pictures on what to do which makes it easier.

Save $2.50/lb sounds tempting. Myself, I wouldn't want too much to go to left over, reheating that beautiful meat seems like a crime.

You could lop 5 lbs off, try the Dry Aging thing, then do another cook for your household. Or you could put the 5lber in the freezer for a while, but putting it in the freezer seems nearly criminal as well.
icon_confused.gif
Decisions, decisions.

Ah just cook it all and stuff yourself silly.
icon_smile.gif
Leftovers make AWESOME steak sandwiches.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
Save $2.50/lb sounds tempting. Myself, I wouldn't want too much to go to left over, reheating that beautiful meat seems like a crime.

You could lop 5 lbs off, try the http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast3.html thing, then do another cook for your household. Or you could put the 5lber in the freezer for a while, but putting it in the freezer seems nearly criminal as well.
icon_confused.gif
Decisions, decisions.

Ah just cook it all and stuff yourself silly.
icon_smile.gif
Leftovers make AWESOME steak sandwiches. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, I'm not sure I'm ready for $180 steak sandwiches!

Boy, I've searched the web and can't find a definitive way to pull this off. It can't be that hard though right? Right?
icon_wink.gif

If you have a good relationship with your butcher, I would simply ask him if he had any tips on how you should trim the roast. Given the price of the meat you're buying, I would think he'd give you a few pointers.

But honestly, I'm not sure there's much trimming to do on a whole standing rib roast.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
...But honestly, I'm not sure there's much trimming to do on a whole standing rib roast... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There shouldn't be.

Lopping off a smaller roast from the large one and freezing it (very tightly wrapped with 2-3 layers of plastic wrap, freeze, then wrap tightly in foil) will be fine. Just cook it sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back