Stanbroil stainless grates on sale

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
I have a 220 with the one piece cast iron grates that cracked uneven, so one side always wants to fall in. Thought I'd try stainless, and they're about $10 off at the moment. Heads up for anyone that might be looking
Stanbroil Stainless Steel Grill Cooking Grates for Weber Q1000 Series, Q1200, Q1400 Gas Grill, Replacement for Weber 7644 - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T52ZVW6/?tag=tvwb-20Screenshot_20231126-081112.png

Those are not good grates to use on a Q. The way the Q works is ppart griddle and part grate (which is why they rely on heavy CI grates). There is nothing between the burner and the grate to spread the heat. So the design is the heavy grate absorbs, holds and spreads the heat, while the cast in angles help deflect grease. While these will work to keep your food out of the fire and deflect the grease they will not perform the function of actually distributing the heat.
Which is why the the stainless ones Bruce and I found actually work. As they're very thick and heavy and actually perform that function almost as well as the CI. Though they don't protect the burners quite as well. They actually work similar to the CI ones. They're about full 3/16" thick and weigh nearly as much as the CI ones. They look like this. (though these are the ones made in Germany of 304SS) The ones Bruce and I got are 430SS and they do get a "patina". But, do yourself a favor and don't bother with wire grates.

1701008520390.png

Those were actually Stanbroil brand as well if I recall correctly. But, they quit offering them.

I am not a metal worker, but I have a feeling the kind of grates you and I have Larry are more expensive to produce than the ones they are selling now. Just seems like they have half the mass of our grates to start with. I would guess the manufacturing process is simpler and requires a lot less machinery, especially expensive machinery as well.

IDK, all they are is laser cut 4mm sheets of 430 stainless. I would think (especially in China) they can whip them out in nothing flat

Possibly. Maybe the just didn't sell well. Maybe too radical a design for normally simple Q grillers. I just know that I wouldn't give mine up.

Bummer that they aren't available anymore. Have either of you guys used the wire style, or just going by what others have said? I totally get the principal of why the others would work better, just curious

Never used never tried. Because I understand the principle of how the Q is designed to effectively operate. Can you grill on them? Sure. And, they certainly won't "harm" the grill. But the Q won't work as you expect it to work. Heck, I am not giving up the CI ones I bought for mine for some things.. Because no matter how well these stainless plate ones work, they're still not as good at some things. And yes, I do resort occasionally to putting the CI ones on. But, the plate ones are as good as you can get without getting into actual cast stainless (which would be outrageously expensive)

Well I guess I'll report on how they function, I decided to risk it. And this is coming from a cast iron fan in general, I haven't counted in a while but I think I have north of 30 cast iron pans. I hardly ever cook on anything else. There is 16 on this wall alone...PXL_20231126_213049317.jpg

They're awfully expensive for a "risk", which is one reason I won't bother. I can buy 2 sets of good CI ones for the price of those. And with a little care I know I can get many years. Heck, the ones I had on my 320 were original and it was pretty darn old before I gave uup on them

They're awfully expensive for a "risk", which is one reason I won't bother. I can buy 2 sets of good CI ones for the price of those. And with a little care I know I can get many years. Heck, the ones I had on my 320 were original and it was pretty darn old before I gave uup on them
Man, I couldn't find any cast iron for much cheaper than $30

When I first checked that link, it showed $79 IIRC. So which is why the comment about getting 2 sets of good CI grates that cook correctly.

Back