St Louis rib 1st cook questions

KenP

TVWBB Pro
I need some quick help here.

I'm brining two racks I got pre-trimmed for $1.98 lb. I think that's pretty good so I grabbed them up.

I made this rub I found. It said it was Memphis style.
4 teaspoons paprika
2-3 teaspoons salt (If you brine skip the salt)
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoons cayenne
1 teaspoon ground mustard
It's too hot for me. I added some brown sugar and that seemed to help. A nice hot-sweet rub I think.

But now I'm wondering if I should have left it as it was and used a sweet mop. Suggestions please.

On the other rack I'm going to use Szeged Rib Rub and, oddly enough, heat it up. I just think it's too sweet. Last time I used some cayenne and red peppers. Any suggestions here would be great to.

I'll be using my WSM for the first time tomorrow so I'm pretty stoked!

Wish me luck... Goodness knows, I'll need it.

Yeah, yeah yeah, I'll order some rubs from some of you pros on here soon enough.
icon_wink.gif

The rub sounds fine and adding the brown sugar won't hurt anything.

I have never brined my ribs is this to make the jucy or for flavor? I brine turkey breast sometimes to help make it jucire and add little flavor.

I use rubs with brown sugar and like the way they taste. It's kinda what you like or the folks you cook for think so you can always adjust it next time.

I don't mop anymore. I use too but just can't tell the difference so I don't think it is worth the effort.

Rubs are kinda a fun way to experiment some you will like better than others.

I do foil my ribs after 2-3 hours and let them cook in the foil for about an hour. At that time I sprinkle with some brown sugar or honey or maybe a little pineapple juice.

Good luck

I squirt with a good quality apple juice...sometimes put some of the rub in the juice. I also now foil for about 45 min after 3-4 hours then finish unfoiled, nice and tender but not falling off the bone - a bit of bite to them. What kind of wood? I love an apple-hickory mix for ribs. Good luck - this is the begining of a long relationship I think
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the info.

I think the rub just had too much cayenne. Maybe I'll use some SBR's on that rack before I high-heat them at the end. I don't know.

I just can't wait to fire up the cooker for the first time!
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, that WSM is awesome. First cook and it held 250*-270* at the lid with one lower vent opened just a tad and the other lowers closed. I picked up a candy thermometer at Sears on sale last night.

The ribs looked nice, but taste was ok. The SBR at the end helped the "hot" one and I finished over a hot grill for just a few minutes.

They weren't "falling off the bone" which is great because I don't like them that way, but boy they were close.

I'd planned on using the 3-2-2, but because of the heat it was more like 3-2-1.

I used one large chunk of hickory and the smoke ring was very deep, to the bone in fact. I thik I need a different wood for ribs, but it was either hickory or mesquite since that's what I have.

Time to get some good rubs....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:

The ribs looked nice, but taste was ok.

I used one large chunk of hickory and the smoke ring was very deep, to the bone in fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ken, Any chance you had bought "enhanced ribs"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Ken, Any chance you had bought "enhanced ribs"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I read the package after seeing a comment about that and didn't see "enhanced" or anything like it on the package.

They were Smithfield brand in cryo.

Is "enhanced" a problem? it's just water or something, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:

They were Smithfield brand in cryo.

Is "enhanced" a problem? it's just water or something, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I get Smithfield at BJ's and they are not enhanced so... As far as the enhanced part, they are loaded wih sodium and can (does too me) taste like ham on a stick. I stay clear of enhanced anything, but that's just me. I have read some posts by Conrad, where he likes the Enhanced Tyson chicken, they use chicken stock. Never tried it so... can comment on it other than he really likes it. HTH

Back