Spicy stewed cabbage

John Bridgman

TVWBB Super Fan
This was actually an attempt to save a coleslaw disaster. I'm not sure if this is actually good or just much better than I expected, but here it is.

It all started with a suggestion in "How to Grill" about using a North Carolina vinegar sauce to make coleslaw (rather than, say, pulled pork). Seemed like a reasonable idea.

I had been making vinegar sauce by heating a handful of dried chili flakes in maybe a cup of vinegar then adding a bit of regular bbq sauce so I made a batch and dumped it over a cut-up head of cabbage mixed with a chopped onion.

Not good. Cabbage was cut too coarsely and the sauce, though great with pork, was much too spicy for coleslaw. I stuck it in the fridge for a couple of days to see if it would mellow, or at least if the vinegar would soften the big cabbage chunks. Didn't help.

OK, plan B. Cooked a few strips of bacon in the bottom of a big pot, then dumped in the cabbage/sauce mix, all over medium heat. Stirred it around for a few minutes then dumped in 1/2 cup of water, a healthy pour of soy sauce and a few shakes of worcestershire. Put the lid on and left it to cook for maybe 30 minutes.

The result is surprisingly good. Still too hot for some but the spiciness of the sauce and the blandness of the cabbage blended nicely. The result was tasty enough to eat as a main dish for lunch, although that was partly to balance out all the meat I have been eating since getting the kettle.

Sorry about the approximate measurements but this only became worth discussing a couple of days AFTER I made it
icon_wink.gif

Back